2013 Giant Anthem X2

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

What are the pro's and con's of this bike please, I'm thinking of it for general XC and trail parks.

Also which is better the Anthem or the Trance?

2013 Anthem X 2 spec ( seems quite good, bar for the non lock out rear shock )

Frame

Sizes
S,M,L,XL

Colours
Light Blue/Black/White

Frame
ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium, 4" Maestro Suspension

Fork
RockShox Reba RL w/ 15mm Thru-Axle, Tapered Steerer, 100mm

Shock
RockShox Monarch R, Solo Air w/ adjustable rebound

Components

Handlebar
Giant Connect 31.8

Stem
Giant Connect

Seatpost
Giant Connect, 30.9

Saddle
Giant Performance XC

Pedals
N/A

Drivetrain

Shifters
Shimano Deore 3x10 speed

Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur
Shimano Deore XT M780 10-Speed

Brakes
Shimano M446, [F] 160mm, [R] 160mm rotors

Brake Levers
Shimano M505

Cassette
Shimano HG62 11-36, 10s

Chain
KMC X10L Silver, 10-speed

Crankset
Shimano M552, 24/32/42

Bottom Bracket
Shimano Press Fit

Wheels

Rims
Giant S-XC2

Hubs
Giant S-XC2

Spokes
Giant S-XC2

Tyres
Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 26x2.1 Performance Folding

Other

Extras
N/A

Weight
The most accurate way to determine any bike’s weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality

Comments

• chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The Anthem gets a lot of love on here. It's a very good bike.

The difference between the Anthem and the Trance is that the Anthem has 100mm travel and the trance 120/125mm. The Anthem is therefore slightly more xc oriented, the Trance a little more capable over more technical / steep stuff. However, in reality a lot of people says both bikes punch above their weight in terms of capability.

I have the 2013 Trance and personally like the extra travel. I have not ridden the Anthem, but understand it's a superb bike. I think you would be happy with either.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The X2 was likely the best of the 2013 Anthems - it didn't feature the ghastly Fox CTD shocks. I had the X3 and both forks and shock were warranty repaired after about 20 miles. The rear shock continued to leak oil and the front fork had an alarming amount of flex. The Anthem is a fantastic ride, but does share the 29er trait of needing a bit more rider input to hustle them around tighter track. If you're cool with 29er's, the Anthem is good. Really good.

And for info: it's an Anthem - it doesn't need a rear lockout. Never used it on mine, and I don't use it on my current Trance either.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had both the Trance and Anthem.
    Both are brilliant bikes. The Anthem is a superb all day, long distance bike but with the ability to be ridden hard on descents as well. It doesn't feel like an xc race bike at all.
    The Trance is not quite as good at eating up miles but a little more stable through the rough stuff.
    Really not a lot between them to be honest. I would happily have either of them again.
    Just avoid the disposable Fox CTD fork.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Thank you all for your replies, never ridden a full suss, out tomorrow at Glentress and hiring a full susser to see if I like it and then it might be the big plunge :)