Travel Insurance - Alps trip

chrisw333
chrisw333 Posts: 695
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm going on a family trip to the Alps which will include some mountain biking. I won't be doing the really difficult stuff, but am intending to use uplifts, so guess this will be classified as Downhill and therefore extreme sports.

Has anyone got any advice and what type of travel insurance is advisable / necessary?

I'm aware of Snowcard & Dogtag, who both cover extreme sports, but the latter doesn't cover the bike itself. Snowcard seems expensive (£232 for family cover).

I'm not that fussed about cancellation cover etc (I can get a £10 policy to cover that!)- the main thing I'm concerned about is medical expenses / emergency, but do I really need this in France or would this be covered by an EHIC card?

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    World Nomads?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chrisw333
    Thanks Paul.

They look really good. Their policy says "mountain biking downhill" (on level 2 sports) and price is very competitive. I'm going to phone to double check though.
  • chrisw333
    Ok, an update. Word Nomad DO cover Downhill - I have e-mail confirmation from them. (make sure you select sports cover level 2)

http://www.worldnomads.com/index.aspx?a ... 63&subid=8

Their price for family cover was £41.00 for 2 weeks (with 10% discount code NEWYEAR13)

The equivalent family cover from Snowcard & Dogtag was much, much more.

Thumbs up to Paul Skiburn and hopefully this thread will help others in the future.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I used to have natwest travel insurance that cost about £100 for the year for the whole family including winter (and summer) sports cover
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    I used to have natwest travel insurance that cost about £100 for the year for the whole family including winter (and summer) sports cover

That's sounds good. But you need to be careful, most cover 'mountain biking' but then exclude extreme terrain, Downhill etc. How do you define extreme terrain? Well reading around, most considered uplift riding would be considered extreme terrain, even if you were taking it easy. I just felt there was too many get outs with wording like that. I thought Dogtags summary covered the interpretation well (although they were too expensive)
    http://www.dogtag.co.uk/queried-sports- ... rance.aspx
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Much simpler over here (France) - I have a Multisport card and I'm insured for any sport...none of this 'extreme' (I hate that word) nonsense
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Don't they still do the Carte Neige thing in France? The old buy insurance with your lift ticket they used to do for skiing?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.