£500 budget for full suspension...

teknicolourfox
teknicolourfox Posts: 34
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking to purchase full suspension bike with a budget of about £500. Will be riding mainly cross country, offroad trails, not much downhill.

Decathlon have a few new bikes such as the Rockrider 500 S or Rockrider 520 S.

Happy with used but what should I look out for? Under my budget there are older (2005 ish, such as the trek 77 freeride) would these be worth looking at or should I look for newer models (with newer tech that hasn't potentially had 10 years of abuse)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't want a freeride bike then ;-).

Older Specialized FSR and GT Idrives are great places to start. For new the the 520S is simply superb. Yes, it's heavy - but with 27 speed, hydraulic parts, an air shock and some quality parts it is an absolute bargain. Really nice frame, which is even lighter than an Orange 5!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Will be riding mainly cross country, offroad trails, not much downhill.

Are you sure you want a full suspension bike?

At that budget and for that riding you are going to get a far better hardtail than FS?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You do get some bargains on ebay. I know someone who has recently picked up a spotless 2010 Giant Trance for £600.
    The best bargains seem to be less common models that don't get as much interest on ebay.
  • Cheers for the advice guys

I have a couple hardtails already - a boardman and an older kraken.

A few months ago I had an accidet (not bike related) and my back/ars3 have been pretty painful since, so I want to try a full suss to see if that helps eliviate the pain when riding...

Have spotted a few on ebay but so much choice hard to fathom out what's decent and what's not.
  • Here are the few I have seen - all at about £500

Scott Spark 50
    CUBE AMS HPA 110
    Lapierre Spicy 516
    Trek 2011 Ex8
    LAPIERRE X-CONTROL 210

Any of these stand out?
  • supersonic
    They are all good enough in their own right - but what about condition? The Spicy is a bit more aggressive than the others, heavier and more travel.
  • They are all within a 75 mile radius so was looking at perhaps narrowing down choice before going to view them.

Given any one of the options above vs Rockrider 520s I presume I'd be better getting used (as long as good condition).

All my bikes have been used so far and all have been top notch so not afraid of getting used.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Given that a Lapierre Spicy 516 costs over two grand new, I'm surprised you can get one in a remotely decent condition for £500. They commonly go for more like £1500 on ebay
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe it's an auction at £500 right now.......as you say likely to go for a lot more!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or on Gumtree, and stolen.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yep my mistake some of those are not BIT.

And I'd be against buying a bike I thought was stolen, a few mates have had bikes stolen and wouldn't want to think I was aiding the bike thrft fraternity...

The search continues!
  • Ive been offered a Specialized XC Pro Cross Country 2004 model - looks to be in good order, well maintained and plenty of receipts and new parts, for £450?

Does that sound like a good deal to you guys?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No idea. But it's 10 years old so probably not - but it depends.

In the second hand market you need to know what you're doing otherwise getting burnt is easy.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    In terms of the Rockriders - I wanted a FS go give my old back a rest from my aged HT and since I had limited funds (aka my wife) I bought the old Rockrider 6.3 which was cheaper and inferior to the newer models you've mentioned. It was pretty heavy but did what an FS is supposed to do well enough. I replaced the fork with an Epicon I got new from ebay for about £80 at the time. Over time I replaced the heavy rear spring shock with a used RockShox air unit I got for about £50. Those changes plus better tyres took a couple of kilos off it, making it a reasonable weight

Nothing has ever broken on that bike. The wheels are excellent and have only needed the slightest truing a couple of times. I pass less fit people with 3K bikes going up hills and I pass less reckless people doing down them. I'd love to spend a big wedge on a better bike but I'm not sure I'd enjoy riding any more than I do now.

What I'm saying is: those rockriders are not so terrible you can't have a ball riding them and they won't fall apart like some crappy Apollo faux-MTB
  • Looking to purchase full suspension bike with a budget of about £500. Will be riding mainly cross country, offroad trails, not much downhill.

I bought a 10 year old full suspension Univega once for £180 off gumtree. Nice bike it was but learned that the Hope brakes was on it's way out, suspension bushes etc worn. Got rid of it due to amount of replacement components needed. For £500 I'd rather buy quality good brand hard tail.
  • AS above mate struggle to ride hardtail at the moment due to my injury so really need to give full suss a go.

Might just go for the Rockrider 520s new if I can;t find anytg suitable used and nearby. Least it will be warrantied and Rockrider generally well regarded.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look at local FS on fleabay, ask for advice on value (or check what previous ones sold for on there) and go from there, don't have to be BIN to work out. Best still look for auctions ending at funny times and badly listed for bargains!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    You won't go wrong with that Rockrider though. It's that good.
  • That's good to hear thanks - off to Decathlon Sheff this weekend to take a lok and maybe purchase - are there any vouchers or ways of getting discounts at Decathlon?