Which Vulcan?

Skajme
Skajme Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm looking to get a Carrera Vulcan and as I'm quite the beginner with these things i'd like some help.
Is the 2011/12 Vulcan better than the new 2015 one?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mountain-bike-2011-2012-medium-18

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mens-mountain-bike-2015#tab2

Cheers in advance for any help!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing between the two really, although the later clark eps brakes are meant to be a bit more reliable, the older ones tended to suffer some early life failures.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Skajme
    Ah right, cool. I'll go for the 2015 model then. Cheers!
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    New one has 27.5" wheels.

Apparently all Carreras will be going to this wheel size.
  • Skajme
    Does it? It says on the website 26"
    Is that a bad thing, or?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Makes tyres mire expensive, and access to second hand parts very limited.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Skajme
    So as some of you may have seen from the Carrera hardtail thread I went for the 2015 model. I'm already thinking of upgrading a few things. (I think I've got the bug from these forums) I've targeted the forks as the first upgrade and have probably about £250 to spend on them. Any ideas on what would be good to get? I've done some research and am leaning towards Rockshox. Possibly Rebas if I can find them for a good price!
  • It's good that you have caught the bug, but as you probably realise, its an expensive habit.
    Rebas are very good forks and are highly recommended on the forum.
    However, i would hold off until your current forks give out. For what you have spent on the bike, is it worth spending another £250?
    You would probably get a bigger benefit by upgrading the tyres and pedals to start. That would probably leave around £200 for your 'new bike fund'. You can never have too many bikes.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I agree with Long Time Lurker - defo get some decent pedals.

Get out and ride the bike - play with the settings on your forks you probably want about 20-25% 'sag' when you sit on them fully kitted up. Look HERE and start at step 11. Althoughas you already know they're 120mm forks don't dismantle.

Above all - ride and enjoy - then decide what needs changing.
  • Skajme
    hmm perhaps I was too hasty plumping straight for new forks then, ha. I think I got slightly starry eyed with it all!
    I will scale back and start with some smaller things, like the pedals and tyres. Cheers for the advice guys!
  • Skajme
    I have some new pedals. Went for Wellgo MG1s. The grip is so much better and they're very light!

Next step is tyres. Currently the bike has Kenda Kadre K1027's but I can't seem to find much of anything online about them.
    I'll admit to being quite overwhelmed with the amount of choices, so what would be a decent set of lighter tyres to upgrade to?
    Pretty even mix of surfaces to be used on really so I don't want anything that leans too far towards one speciality.