HT options for around £300 - 350

_james
_james Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!

The other half is keen to get out and about with me on the bike, so we're looking for a HT. I knew that BikeRadar was the place to come for advice :) Her budget is around £300, perhaps up to £350.

I had heard the Rockrider 5.2/ 5.3 is a good buy, but according to Decathlon it's now discontinued and doesn't show up in their search results? We're struggling to find other alternatives.

Requirements are HT, disc brakes and preferably, but not essentially, remote lockout.

Does anyone have any experience/ opinion on the Rockrider 520? I know it's over her £350 budget, but if it's a good buy she is prepared to go for it. Heres the link:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... nformation

Thanks for any nudges in the right direction :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 520 lies inbetween the old 5.3 and 8.0. it is a very, very good bike for that money. Hydraulic brake and forks, excellent Shimano gearing.
  • _james
    supersonic wrote:
    The 520 lies inbetween the old 5.3 and 8.0. it is a very, very good bike for that money. Hydraulic brake and forks, excellent Shimano gearing.

Thanks for your swift reply. Great, looks like we'll be trying that one out then.

Still open to suggestions/ opinions in the time being.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing else really comes close, except maybe the Carrera Vulcan and Voodoo Hoodoo.

This is a solid buy:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p405 ... -COMP-2012
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I`ve got my eye on a Calibre point 50, very well specced.

The two two is an even bigger bargain for the money
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    The Rockrider 520 should be back in stock any time now.... or thats what the sale staff told me.

As for another option, the Carrera Kraken 2014 can be had for £350 or even less with a bit of persuading with the Halfords staff.
  • Braythor
    Braythor Posts: 13
    As has been mentioned, the Calibre two-two is an option: I got given a discount on the .50 because they didn't have the two-two in stock, and it's fantastic, so I imagine the two-two is also a great bike.
  • _james
    Thanks for everyones replies! We're going to go and checkout the Rockrider 520. The misses has just found out she may be able to get on the Cycle to Work scheme, so that may change our direction depending on what retailers are supported (not sure if Decathlon are on any of the schemes?)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • _james
    The Rookie wrote:
    They are.....

Ok thanks!