Looking for some cheap quality wheels

alexs2602
alexs2602 Posts: 33
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I ride a Voodoo Hoodoo, 2012/13 model(I think). 26" stock wheels currently. I've been looking at Fulcrum Red Power SLs but not sure if this is my best choice. I'm new when it comes to buying wheels. Whatever I do get will need to last/be easy to service. 6 bolt disc brake. Mostly commuting but I do jump around a bit(bunny hops, up and down curbs - which as I understand it might be why my rear hub crapped out) and might do some off-road stuff. I primarily use 1.5" slick tyres but have a set of 2.25" knobblies. Because I don't really know wheels my main concerns from my limited knowledge are serviceability, due to the spoke count and finding suitable bearings, and whether to get QR or thru-axle, as I've never used thru-axle before. That's the best I can post with my limited knowledge. Really unfamiliar with anything but the bare basics.

I'm willing to spend more than £100 if it's worth it. I had been looking at getting this model or the XL model from a different shop at a higher price(£175~) but I really have no idea what's a reasonable amount of money to spend on wheels for a bike of that kind of quality. I don't want something that will crap out but I'd prefer not to spend more than I need to as well. I want my money's worth.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The stock voodoo wheels are made by Formula and are fitted to millions of bikes, not great, but far from bad.

What has actually happened to your rear hub?

Those wheels will fit but these are much better for not much more
    http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shiman ... 59840.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alexs2602
    The Rookie wrote:
    The stock voodoo wheels are made by Formula and are fitted to millions of bikes, not great, but far from bad.

What has actually happened to your rear hub?

Those wheels will fit but these are much better for not much more
    http://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shiman ... 59840.html
    Think the hubs are pitted. I put in new bearings and it started grinding again quickly. I could replace just the hub but to be honest I'd rather just replace the wheels and be done with it. That way I can replace the rims and front wheel all the same time too. Have a matching set.

Any rim in particular? I'd like to go with black rims if it doesn't make much difference.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am selling a decent set in the classifieds - worth a look.
  • alexs2602
    supersonic wrote:
    I am selling a decent set in the classifieds - worth a look.
    Screw it. Yeah, I'll take them. As you're an admin I think I can trust you to know you're using good gear and not sell a duff set of wheels. Do I need to reply to your thread and how do I pay etc?