New Ribble Bottom Bracket creak

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited July 2014 in Road general
So I've just bought a new Ribble Sportive Azzuro which I am more than happy with. However from first pedal stroke I noticed a rather annoying creak coming from the bottom bracket which I had hoped would go after a little bit of bedding in. 100 miles later and its still there, do Ribble have any kind of after sales care or is it a case of tough and take it to my LBS?

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    If it's a new bike it'll be under warranty. Speak to Ribble.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It's probably been installed bone dry.. if you are clueless as to bike maintenance, take it to a shop and have it fixed.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    JGSI wrote:
    It's probably been installed bone dry.. if you are clueless as to bike maintenance, take it to a shop and have it fixed.

This.

Also bear in mind that there are a 1000 things that can creak on a bike, and they all sound like they are coming from the BB.

I've had two major creaking episodes on my new bike - in both cases I was certain it was the BB - in both cases it wasnt!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Could also be pedal related, or even shoes/cleats ,check everything is tight.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Check that your rear wheel skewer is done up tight enough, this is a common problem that sounds like a creaking BB.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    zardoz wrote:
    Check that your rear wheel skewer is done up tight enough, this is a common problem that sounds like a creaking BB.
    I didn't know that, the bottom bracket (or so I thought!) on my bike was creaking today so might check that before removing and regressing the BB
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    zardoz wrote:

+1... my brand new carbon BB30 bike was creaking very badly - it was embarrassing as pedestrians up ahead of me would turn around it was so loud - I blamed the BB as it happened at every pedal stroke and sounded like it was coming from that area, but it turned out that the shop forgot to grease the skewers - a dab of grease where the skewers contact the frame, and a good tighten of the skewers and the noise went away entirely.

The other time I had a badly creaking BB area turned out to be a seatpost problem!

As I said above, pretty much every noise sounds like it comes from the BB, and most of the time it isnt.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    My creaking BB was caused by a slightly loose Hollowtech II External Cup. The drive side cup was removed, cleaned and re-tightened. - not a sound since.

What BB type is it on the Ribble ? BB30 can be a creak fest due to the non-thread design.