South Downs Way conditions

thomasmorris
thomasmorris Posts: 373
edited July 2014 in Routes
Planning to do the SDW this Friday (28th March).

I know the paths on tops generally dry out with a day or so fine weather, but are there any more permanently boggy sections or flooded parts left over from the terrible winter that we should be aware of?

Friends want to do a decent time which isn't really compatible with sloppy trails; he's flying down from Scotland though so need to know whether to just pack a road bike instead.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Two weeks ago it was dry on the tops as you say, but as soon as you were under treecover or anything it was still pretty wet. I'd not expect that to have changed all that much. It'll be entirely passable, but I'd expect a few wet bits.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    A lot of the really flooded places have gone down now, even after the last couple of days rain. There was a lot of dry dusty stuff last week, it dries pretty quickly. I would expect puddles but you won't need to pack waders like you would have 3 weeks ago. On a ride at the start of March I was thigh deep in water with my bike over my head on what used to be a bridleway!
  • So we went on Friday and it was horrible. Two hours of rain out of Winchester, and it had poured it down on Thursday too. A pretty strong headwind too, so less than ideal conditions.

It kind of brightened up after we decided to cut short at Goodwood. We decided to head back to Havant rather than risk running out of light or not being allowed on a train.

http://app.strava.com/activities/124639119
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shame. Well done for trying.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Good effort!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    June 14th, Tom... Thomas and Sarah are planning a ride. I'm hoping I have that day free as the SDW was my highlight of 2013. This time I'd like to do the whole route even if it does mean getting up at stupid o'clock. Might be far too slow for you though!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Can anyone update me on the current conditions ? Just wondering if it is pretty dry, been injured and not been out on me bike for a while.
    Thanks
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Generally very good. Dry on all exposed sections and very fast. Only damp is under cover. One or two sections with some standing water if you're unlucky enough to catch a downpour, especially around the Bury/Amberley section, as there's nowhere for it to run off to (saturated ground).

Did it Friday/Sat.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Sounds good, thanks for the update. Me and the missus are taking it on in a few weeks. Hopefully we get a decent weeked like this one.
    Cheers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rode it overnight on Friday to Saturday morning 6th-7th June. There were a few muddy puddles at the Winchester end which did a good job of gunking up the drivetrain. After Cocking it was pretty well dried-out all the way until we hit a thunderstorm at Jeavington which made the final flinty, chalky climb a bit slippy. Ridden it three times previously, but the overnighter really messes with your head - didn't help that the one guy not running tubeless got three punctures.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    Had another go yesterday, baked hard ground! Got a PB of 7:47 which I'm pretty happy with.

http://www.strava.com/activities/171347467