Isle of Arran

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited July 2014 in Road general
Has anyone else been there? We went Saturday to do the 55 mile coastal road & it was brilliant!

It's like a mini Mallorca. So many cyclists out there, hardly any traffic, some climbs (not massive), beautiful scenery, fast descents (clocked 49mph).

The ferry was £11 return (bike goes free) and they run about every hour. I'd highly recommend it for a day trip :mrgreen:

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Just a shame about the other 4 days I would need to take off to have the day trip :-)
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I'm lucky enough to live within about 40mins of the ferry port and the island is a fantastic place to cycle. Note to self : need to get over more often. Not sure about the Mallorca comparison though :?
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Never been, maybe I should :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rank_amateur
    rank_amateur Posts: 117
    If you stuck to the coastal road then you most likely didn't do the String road which cuts across the middle? That counts as a fair old climb for a windsucking, flatlander from the Midlands, I can tell you. Do the figure of eight loop and you get to ride it twice!!! :shock: I've not done that as yet but it's on my list as a big day out for the summer - it really is beautiful and even from here it's well worth the drive - set off early in the morning, dump the car at Ardrossan, jump on the ferry, do the ride, grab a B&B and a single malt - cant wait. :D

This looks like it http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/isle-of-arr ... e-68548530
  • stewie10
    stewie10 Posts: 14
    My parents live on the island, have been round it many many times, the String road and the Ross road are great climbs.
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    we were up there 3 weeks ago, didnt have time to do the coastal route but i did really enjoy doing the sting great climb and decent. we then went on to do mull, skye and harris and lewis amazing weeks cycling.
  • scopes15
    scopes15 Posts: 84
    I was there Saturday too - done the coastal route anti-clockwise for the 1st time as part of the Ayrshire Hospice organised cycle. Was a good ride with plenty of hills and excellent day.
  • Heading over there in a couple of weeks, got a cottage near Blackwaterfoot so will be cycling from Brodick over the String. Looking forward to that and hopefully a couple of circuits while I'm there.
    2013 Felt F85 in white
    1999 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS in Orange (winter commuter)
    1980s Raleigh Kellog's Pro Tour Reynolds 501 (trainer)
  • Hi all,
    Is there anywhere on the Isle that hires road bikes?
    Google shows plenty of hybrid & mtb.
    Up there next week and looking for a couple of sneaky mornings out.
    Dave.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,846
    Brilliant little island to visit.

My only negative was the size and ferocity of the midgies at Lamlash campsite. Being folically challenged they had plenty to get their teeth into. In the time it took me to semi-erect a small tent they had bitten my high forehead over 100 times!!

We were camping and walking so difficult to escape. If you are cycling you stand a better chance!

Otherwise go visit.