Night Shift

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited July 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Just started working night shifts in a hotel - front desk/night audit - job doesn't seem complex and should give me a bit of time to myself each shift.

Gonna need a book I think......

Today was my first night and I have to say I have not adjusted my body clock very well! Roll on 7am so I can go home! Probably try and do a short ride in the morning then hit the sack and dream about fitting my new 1x10 drive train bits when they come.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Today was your first night? I take it you're in some other country, as I'm pretty sure it ain't night time yet or are you just anticipating for tonight?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Today was your first night? I take it you're in some other country, as I'm pretty sure it ain't night time yet or are you just anticipating for tonight?

Looks like a whole different continent to me :wink:

cSzZFF.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Shite job. Hated it. Screws with your life even on the 'weekends'..
  • paul.skibum
    The plus side for me is come the winter I will be able to go skiing after work and be off the mountain around 1 or 2 and still sleep long enough to get back to work but I agree the general look of it is a negative to any sort of life. I am single so dont have a partner to miss me but wont get one working nights!
  • contented
    contented Posts: 83
    Shite job. Hated it. Screws with your life even on the 'weekends'..

I loved doing nights, mine was 15 hours a night, six nights a week during harvest, but 99 percent of night shift jobs are terrible, either boring or some repetitive thing that doesn't quite let you switch off and daydream. I ran the shift so it was lots of coffee, minions cooking me dinner in hopes of extra hours, barking orders, drinking moonshine with the forklift driver, and sorting out the many problems.
    I had a good routine and fitted in to it well, the only part that knackered me was when they made a change or gave us time off. Miss one night and you're tired, miss two nights and when you go back its a killer. If the routine gets messed up, I end up walking about in that blurry daze.
    I'd love to do it again, but the fruit industry here in England isn't quite a 24/7 operation so it's unlikely :(
    In general, I'd agree that nights are crap - out the 90 odd staff I had, mine was the only job I'd want to do. Apart from maybe the forklift driver who made a killing flogging bottles of hooch.

The graders had it worst, imagine 12 hours stood at a conveyor belt watching 350fruit roll by a minute and being yelled at for missing one tiny spot on one fruit. Crap.
  • Chunkers1980
    Contented wrote:
    I end up walking about in that blurry daze.

That's your problem, you want to slow down a bit.
  • contented
    contented Posts: 83
    Contented wrote:
    I end up walking about in that blurry daze.

That's your problem, you want to slow down a bit.

Not an issue now, I haven't worked since we came back!
    Would love to get back on nights, that's where you met life's real characters.
  • paul.skibum
    Day 2 - still struggling to get body on clock - slept 5 hours from 12 this afternoon but woke up too early to call that a nights sleep - to make matters worse I am volunteering to help set up for the Whistler Ironman (helps get local trail association some funds for building trails) during the day tomorrow (10-4) so will not get sufficient kippage again.

Job itself is OK - probably only really 5 hours work in 8.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    The plus side for me is come the winter I will be able to go skiing after work and be off the mountain around 1 or 2 and still sleep long enough to get back to work but I agree the general look of it is a negative to any sort of life. I am single so dont have a partner to miss me but wont get one working nights!
    You've got enough time for walking if you're single.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Chunkers1980
    Just don't do it too fast it leads to a blurry daze. Slow and steady and don't get caught
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You've got enough time for walking if you're single.

Was walking the right word or should the 'l' be replaced with an 'n'?
  • Chunkers1980
    How long have you been here?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There's a clue......

"Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:40 pm"
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Er. Wooooosh.
  • paul.skibum
    I don't think anyone's hair is out of place.