Newbie and agressive pedestrian

Missybiker
Missybiker Posts: 73
edited September 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
After 37 years of non riding, I bought a Giant Expression ( 10 days ago). I feel as if I am flying and am like a kid. I have signed up to some fix your bike workshops and have spend many hours looking at things I can buy for me and the bike! I have map my ride and a good range of cycle paths near me. In 10 days I have seen more of the area I live in than in 7 years and I am now doing 7 miles a day and would do more but I'm struggling cos of hay fever. I started because my main exercise was walking and I keep getting heel pain. Having been a driver, I am conscious of polite driving and riding and read my biking code. anyway, I digress. 2 nights ago I was riding on the cycle path and ahead of my I could see a big chap walking on the cycle oath, with his tiny dog (on a lead) on the footpath. I thought he would move over at some point but as I got closer it was evident he wanted both lanes with no where but the road ( a very busy dual carriageway). As I came up about 15 feet from him I rang my bell and said excuse me ( very politely ). At which point he turned and told me in no uncertain terms where to go. Why don't you F off. I stepped off the bike to move around him and started to ride on. At which point he said, you stupid C. At that point I stopped and turned and said what did you say. He said FFS just F off. I said, I was just trying to ride on the cycle path. he again told me to FO, and frankly there was nothing I could say ( I felt quite sure he would hit me if I said anothe word). I found it shook me, and certainly upset me no end. It was completely unprovoked. So far everyone I have met ( bike or pedestrian) have said hello. What is everyone else's experience? It's prayed on my mind since Wednesday which is daft but he spoilt the experience of riding for me - advice anyone?

Comments

• Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    To be honest, there's not much you can do about irrational, foul-mouthed, mannerless idiots who may well have mental health issues, except chalk it up to experience.

I'd only observe that, if you see someone deliberately using the cycle lane/path, ignore him and move round him at as good a distance as you can.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Missybiker
    Yes,I know you are right, what shocked me was the fact that he could say these things unprovoked to a 52 year old woman. I was also surprised at how much it upset me and the fact that frankly there was nothing I could do. Oh well, onward and upward eh!:)
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Unpleasant though these types may seem, whether peds or drivers (or, unfortunately, sometimes even fellow cyclists), my guess is they have wider and deeper problems that have zero to do with you, your actions or your bike.

I come across them from time to time but have no skills to do anything constructive.

So I just chill and keep on riding.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    edited July 2014
    [edited]
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Welcome to British attitudes towards cyclists.
  • cossington
    cossington Posts: 36
    Unpleasant though these types may seem, whether peds or drivers (or, unfortunately, sometimes even fellow cyclists), my guess is they have wider and deeper problems that have zero to do with you, your actions or your bike.

I come across them from time to time but have no skills to do anything constructive.

So I just chill and keep on riding.

I think andrewc is spot on, here. You have been unlucky to meet this type of individual, so early in your cycling career. It is a rarity we all come across very occasionally, and can be met in any area of life - walking, working, driving etc. Please take some comfort that such an occurrence is so rare that you are unlikely to come across such an unreasonable, unbalanced individual for a very long time (if ever, again).

Great to hear you are enjoying your riding. It may be worth trying one or two of the SkyRides, if there are any in your area. They are excellent, socially, introducing additional local routes and the experienced guides can offer guidance on all sorts of cycling technique, etiquette etc.

Don't let this unusual chap put you off this wonderful pastime.

David
  • Missybiker
    Thanks everyone for your comments. So far I haven't seen him again and you are right. He is the one who has problems. I'm loving riding ( although I have become obsessed with buying stuff and I mean any stuff. Degreaser has taken on a world of its own. Up to 7- 8 miles a day, am well chuffed :)
  • Missybiker
    David, thanks for the info re: sky rides. I have seen them and would like to try out some. Unfortunately although most of watford is on the flat ( appears to be in a valley) I am at the top of a very broad hill. The sky rides are all all at the bottom of the various hills. I would get down the hill but definitely don't have the stamina to get back up. Having spent a small fortune in the last 3 weeks my next buy is going to be a bike rack so I can get my bike at least part way down the hill and ride from there!
  • markhewitt1978
    Pah, bike rack indeed! That's your next task; riding down the hill and back up. You will make it, even if you have to stop for a rest a few times. The first time you ride up non stop you'll be elated!
  • Missybiker
    Ha ha! Yes I know you are right! I'm managing about 200 metres at the moment on a long steady incline then luckily turn off to a park which is then a gentle downhill for a bit and my heart feels as if it's about to pop. Some of the hills up from Watford are really steep and frankly I would feel complete twonk having to walk up them. (Which is what I think I'd have to do!). I've been checking the price of bike racks and it looks like the better ones all fit to a blimmin tow ball ( and they cost £100's ). You are right I should try and get fitter! Let's see what happens in the next 3 weeks!
  • cossington
    cossington Posts: 36
    If you have quick-release skewers, a bike can fit into a surprisingly small space, in a car. If you are concerned about grease from the chain making a mess, wrap it in a bin bag or two.

Good luck,

David
  • Missybiker
    Ooh! That's a point. I believe I do indeed have quick release. Hadn't thought about that! Cool. Now I just have to work out how to use the quick release thing. Actually I'm not too worried about taking the wheel off, it's getting it back on. Bout time I learnt ! Thanks
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I absolutely loved your first post up to the pedestrian bit. Sometimes as an on and off cyclist all my life (cycled at least once a year since my first bike probably about 37 years ago now) I don't realize what it feels like to start cycling anew. The delight in cycling that was evident in the first part of your post was a complete breath of fresh air to me, a jaded cyclist.

I am in another burst of complete keen-ness in cycling having bought a new hybrid September last year and getting out with new family. I've been commuting most days to work (only just over 7 miles) for over a month possibly 2 now i can't remember as it has flown by. After my first 2 full weeks commuting (5 days) I felt amazing and even tightened my belt a notch too!!! I feel great and am enjoying my cycling life.

We went on a buying spree after I got my new bike including child seats, a burley trailer, boot rack so we can take the bikes away with us, etc. It can be addictive. I'm not into maintenance myself but I've actually started wiping the frame down occasionally and even oiling my gears and chain, which is new for me. I'm thinking of buying a chain cleaner that goes straight onto the chain now. It all makes me want to spend again, which for me indicates a new obsession. I'm spending hours browsing Wiggle and Evans for stuff i could get. Got new panniers, ortlieb ones, and plan to get out touring with the family. At one point it got as serious as a tour of Ireland (or part of it direct from our house). Then Denmark and other Scandinavian countries got added to the possible tour locations. Anyway I digress.

Keep on cycling and forget the nutter. If you ever come across him again he could well be ok. It is quite possible for him to be having a really bad day. I had something similar with a guy at work who just flipped. It was something happening at home and I was the one he got his frustrations out on. He's ok now with me. Of course a nutter with a dog, even a small one, is a hazard to a cyclist. I think you were right to get off your bike and walk around him. I would go as far as putting the bike between you should you meet again. The dog can bite worse than the man afterall. not trying to worry you. Would anyone recommend reporting him to police if it happens again (if she should meet him in a similar foul mood)? Is that even worth bothering? Getting something official down with the police might trigger something if he is involved elsewhere in an incident as he has a record of your incident.
  • markhewitt1978
    I still remember my first day cycling and I went up a hill near my house I'd been eyeing for a while. I had to stop to catch my breath twice, and towards the top where the steepest part is I was in very bottom gear (I had a hybrid so it was super low). Although I was very pleased to make it at all!

These days I climb that same hill in the big ring and barely consider myself even warmed up by the time I get to the top.
  • Missybiker
    Hi tangled metal and mark, thanks for your posts! Luckily I haven't seen the chap since and i am so glad. I've had 30 wonderful days of riding now and am riding 6-8 miles a day . Absolutely loving it, I really feel like a kid again and I actually stop thinking about everything other than the environment and what I am doing ( which is great as I am a business owner addicted to my work). I've gone loopy buying stuff for the bike and all kinds of accessories. I am moving offices in 2 weeks and feel confident that I can ride from hunton bridge (Watford ) to Hemel Hempstead. Downside is that there is a very steep him ( like seriously steep). I didn't think I'd have a problem doing down ( thought the issue would be the ride back up), so on Sunday morning at 6.30 I hit the road. Got about 100 metres on the steep bit and hat to stop. I was scared! I can't recall the last time I was properly scared. I was convinced I wouldn't be able to stop.A big shock to me as I didn't think something as simple as riding a bike downhill would be so scary. I'm going to have to come up with plan b, thanks for everyone's support. I really am very happy. For the first time I have an activity that I truly love . Everyone is so friendly including kids, even the serious riders give me the nod. My legs are definitely getting toned but NO weight coming off so far....
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Last proper ride out on my old road bike I went down a truly steep Cumbrian hill down to Brigsteer. It has a sharp turn part way down too so you need to be going slower before it. Well I hadn't realised just how bad my brakes had got. I was truly scared at one point because I was speeding up dramatically despite my brakes were on full. My knuckles were white I was squeezing my brake levers so hard! Luckily I managed to control it but at the bottom had to keep straight on instead of making a 90 degrees left turn. I made the near hairpin bend halfway down somehow but I was absolutely pumped full of adrenalin!

Lesson learnt = replace your brake pads regularly but especially before you find out they don't work!
  • Sounds like you were very unlucky to come across that particular foul-mouthed fella. And those sort of people usually save the worst of it for other blokes - not this charmer, evidently.

Anyway, you're obviously really enjoying your cycling - keep it up!

I've just turned 50 and love it as much as I did when I was a kid - more, perhaps :-)

I'm re-addicted.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I get these types on designated mountain bike trails in my local park (pollok park) plus horse poo. There are signs, not particularly good ones though, that say no entry but people around the park clearly can't read. one of these days I'll meet someone coming the wrong way up a DH section and smash into them at 20+ mph.