old school frame, modern sus' forks

BrettG
BrettG Posts: 11
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm riding my 1999 GT Tequesta again after many years away from the sport. It's got a lot of sentimentsl value and is a nice ride but I would like to have some suspension again. (It did have a set of 98 judys origionally but they were heavy and high maintenance and have long gone).
I dont want to add lots of weight and am not bothered about keeping it "retro" but being as it's old school geometry I really dont know what forks would work without screwing the geometry.
The rigid fork has 395mm measurement on the axle to crown and I'm not looking for 100 plus travel. What could be usuable with a budget of no more than £200 ? (don't mind buying used if I can find something easily maintainable).
thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll need quite short travel forks to get that A2C, probably you'll be limited to 80mm such as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... prod109672 (that one is tapered so no good - but they can be found).
    Although I can't confirm the A2C through the company firewall!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You'll need V brake mounts no doubt. I would recommend a second hand set of marzocchis (Z2 or Z3) with 80mm or less of travel. There should be some on ebay. Reliable and not too heavy. Also cheap and very easy to service.
  • BrettG
    Thought it might be the hunt for used. I think the whole idea of modern forks and adding the cost of setting up a disc break would basically put me in the realm of buying a used modern bike.
    I'll keep an eye out for something. How's the availability of service parts on older forks ?
    (Sorry about the double post peeps)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the model. Marzocchi and Rockshox are quite good. But to put into persective, I am about to put for sale a GT Zaskar Team world cup frame, with Marzocchi MX air forks, Dt swiss wheels, Hayes carbon brakes, SLX groupset for 500 quid. There are bargains to be had if you don't mind buying second hand.
  • BrettG
    Agree on that supersonic. Bikes just do not hold their money and I've no qualms about buying used if I'm pretty certain it's not knicked or owned by someone with no idea of maintenance. I'm just not flush enough at the moment to shell out on a non essential in life.
    Thinking of it, I've never bought current model bikes, always the previous year or two. (I loikes a bargain).
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    BrettG wrote:
    Thought it might be the hunt for used. I think the whole idea of modern forks and adding the cost of setting up a disc break would basically put me in the realm of buying a used modern bike.
    I'll keep an eye out for something. How's the availability of service parts on older forks ?
    (Sorry about the double post peeps)

Service parts for marzocchis were still available last time I looked. I think UK bikestore stock them. Whether you'd actually need them is another matter. At the most, a new seal kit and an oil change would get an old set of forks working nicely again.

As above, Marzocchi MX forks are another good bet and they did an 80mm travel model aswell.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I dont know if GT had made the change by then but if it has a 1 inch steerer you might struggle to find a fork
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap