Anyone been to the Black Mountains Cycle Centre?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
edited July 2014 in Routes
Looks like it might be worth checking out for a spot of DH:
http://blackmountainscyclecentre.com/

Anyone been there/got an opinion?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    no, but I should as it's 25 mins from my house!!

the vids I've seen and the people I've spoken to who have been all say it's superb though. only 1 trail at the minute though iirc, another is in the pipeline
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Looks like a berms and jump place to me though. Waiting to hear more about it with hope other trails look more interesting than the video trail.
  • Stevo_666
    The blurb in this months MBUK also says it's only one trail at present. Nowt wrong with jumps and berms though, I'm getting a bit better at them on The Panzer :) .

Not sure about how it will hold up in the wet - would be good to hear from anyone whos been there as it's been open since 2012, so has had two winters to get mucky.

BTW, it says on the BPW website there's a new steep black and 'jump type' red in the pipeline for later this year 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • welshkev
    In its current guise it's only been open about 3 months, so has had no time to get muddy!

I saw a new trail being cut in when I was at bpw last thurs. must be the red as it looks bermtastic
  • Stevo_666
    welshkev wrote:
    In its current guise it's only been open about 3 months, so has had no time to get muddy!

I saw a new trail being cut in when I was at bpw last thurs. must be the red as it looks bermtastic
    I was at BPW a week ago last Friday and saw nothing - where were they cutting the new one?
  • welshkev
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I was at BPW a week ago last Friday and saw nothing - where were they cutting the new one?

We came down melted welly to the fireroad and turned right to head back up the climb. In between dai hard and enter the dragon (I think) on the right there was a digger and z new trail there. You could tell it was new as the dirt looked redder and un ridden.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

They are building a big new line to the left (looking down the hill) of Enter The Dragon. It's fairly obvious below the top woods. Looks like lots of big jumps and berms. I won't be taking my downhill bike there on a sunny sunday again. Too many people wobbling down the black trails at walking pace to be able to get a decent run and keep momentum up for the jumps. There were even people stood on the landing of the ETD gap as I hit it, not good taking off a blind, high speed jump to see your landing is occupied.

I haven't been to Black Mountain Cycle Centre yet but a few mates have been and had lots of positive comments. Uplift is tractor and trailer, Taff Buggy style.
  • Stevo_666
    They are building a big new line to the left (looking down the hill) of Enter The Dragon. It's fairly obvious below the top woods. Looks like lots of big jumps and berms. I won't be taking my downhill bike there on a sunny sunday again. Too many people wobbling down the black trails at walking pace to be able to get a decent run and keep momentum up for the jumps. There were even people stood on the landing of the ETD gap as I hit it, not good taking off a blind, high speed jump to see your landing is occupied.

I haven't been to Black Mountain Cycle Centre yet but a few mates have been and had lots of positive comments. Uplift is tractor and trailer, Taff Buggy style.
    Hopefully it will be built by time I am there next in second week of September. Never had a big problem with holding up or being held at BPW (or anywhere else) - we started doing the black for the first time a couple of weeks back. I always check with anyone else who's lined up to go down the run if they're about to go/if they're fast and either go behind them or ask them to give us a head start. Agree about not stopping in obviously stupid places though.

Will see if I can get a trip to BMCC, pity there's no uplift in the week.
  • welshkev
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    [ill see if I can get a trip to BMCC, pity there's no uplift in the week.

if you can get 4 mates together (plus you) they'll put an uplift on for you
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Twice I've been there this month and its been dead both times.
    Went on a lush Saturday, got there at 10 and they had to stop running 2 busses due to lack of people.
    I didnt have a pass but got straight on a bus!

I'd say there was no more than 100 people there!
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2014
    Twice I've been there this month and its been dead both times.
    Went on a lush Saturday, got there at 10 and they had to stop running 2 busses due to lack of people.
    I didnt have a pass but got straight on a bus!

I'd say there was no more than 100 people there!
    That's wierd as BPW is booked up a good 2 months in advance and up to 3 months on weekends and Fridays :? We booked for a Thursday in September and that's now only got 1 space left - Friday was already booked a couple of weeks back. Suppose its OK to take a chance if you're local.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I suspect that a lot of people book up three months ahead and then get injured, change plans, break bikes, turn to god (thou shalt not shred gnar on the sabbath) or just forget about it.

Anyway, here's a video of BMCC that they just posted on pinkbike
    http://m.pinkbike.com/video/372044/
    Looks pretty good to be honest. I might have to get up there soon.
  • Stevo_666
    I suspect that a lot of people book up three months ahead and then get injured, change plans, break bikes, turn to god (thou shalt not shred gnar on the sabbath) or just forget about it.

Anyway, here's a video of BMCC that they just posted on pinkbike
    http://m.pinkbike.com/video/372044/
    Looks pretty good to be honest. I might have to get up there soon.
    Ta - worth a pop if I can get a weekend pass or make up the numbers for a private uplift job.