First Race with Specialized Tricross Sport?

jhillis
jhillis Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Amateur race
I have just started getting into biking and purchased a Specialized Tricross Sport for my commute to work (~15 miles) a couple months ago. I just registered for a local race coming up in 2 months with a distance of about 28 miles.

My question is: Should I use my Tricross in this race, or should I seriously consider getting a dedicated road bike? Am I going to look ridiculous racing with my commuter bike? If I should get a second bike, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    A few years back, raced with a Tricross. As long as your setup is race ready you should be fine. Whats the worse that can happen.. a DNF? welcome to that club .... most of us have been there.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    So long as you have slick tyres you'll be fine and it will make a minimal difference.

You'd look more ridiculous getting dropped on a Cervelo S5. Dont let the marketing hype get you, as it has gotton most of us at some stage.
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    Looks fine to me...what gears are you using? that would be my main concern as a full on sprint or chase would, possibly, require 53 on the front and an 11 on the back.

If you feel strong then race and forget what other people think.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Is it the disc model, if so, you cannot race using disc brakes!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    damocles10 wrote:
    Looks fine to me...what gears are you using? that would be my main concern as a full on sprint or chase would, possibly, require 53 on the front and an 11 on the back.

I won a 2/3/4 crit in a sprint against a good field of ~35 with 50 x 11 (with an alloy frame and 32 spoke open pro).

I think its only a problem if you have a downhill sprint, which is probably unlikely.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    damocles10 wrote:

If you feel strong then race and forget what other people think.

I've never in over 20 years used a bigger gear than 52 x 12 and the bulk of my serious racing was with a maximum 52 x 13. 11t sprockets have only been common for a few years.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I did a crit a while back on my commuter/x-bike as my road bike was broken. The problem I found was that the brakes weren't sharp enough to allow me to confidently go full pelt downhill towards a crucial sharp bend and I ended up falling further and further back on the corner in which at previous races I had made up places. Pretty quickly ended up as a DNF. Just make sure your brakes are really well set up. Agree with the above comments as well - very unlikely you'll need an 11t sprocket.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    OK, I see, perhaps a 11t is overkill for your first race, you might not use it as it can be a tough one to push without a lot of training, but, it's worth considering as you develop and get stronger. If everyone else is running lower gear ratios and you have the power you can make a significant jump on a 53/11...Just saying ;)

And obviously you need to have gear options open for different race types ( technical corners, big hills, fast crits ). In my experience the 11th will give you that extra kick if you intend to break away.....I don't race anymore but I still train and can go fast.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Take the rack and mudguards off though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)