RMP

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 7,976
edited July 2014 in The bottom bracket
Standard issue posting around this time of year...

A week in this

Sabot-de-Venus.jpg

Here

_i48276433.jpg

11379.jpg

Doing a bit of this

Pragelatofebruary2011023.jpg

This will get me some brownie points from Mrs. HD

wm-126221.jpg
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    This is the only reason to go to Les Deux Alpes :wink:

mfv9JS.jpg

Ufl7eP.jpg

The hot tub would be good for washing the mud off whilst having a beer though :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    arran77 wrote:
    This is the only reason to go to Les Deux Alpes :wink:

mfv9JS.jpg

Ufl7eP.jpg

The hot tub would be good for washing the mud off whilst having a beer though :D
    Nope, there are two reasons to go there :wink:

If you got a pass to do a week of downhill in winter you'd take it - that's what I do. Not knocking bikes but the original uplift assisted gravity sport is still the dogs whatsits 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    You surprise me Stevo, skiing always struck me as the road cycling of the winter sports world, I would of had you down as a snow boarding man myself :wink:

LQOtoa.jpg

You sir have lost my respect :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Skiing is the best thing in the world, better than cycling for me. On that note need to find a place for next winter
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If you got a pass to do a week of downhill in winter you'd take it - that's what I do. Not knocking bikes but the original uplift assisted gravity sport is still the dogs whatsits 8)
    You're not wrong, I haven't had a proper skiing holiday in years.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You're not wrong, I haven't had a proper skiing holiday in years.

Not you 'n all :roll:

Gheyer :P

seanoconn
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    arran77 wrote:
    You surprise me Stevo, skiing always struck me as the road cycling of the winter sports world, I would have had you down as a snow boarding man myself :wink:

Skiing is much better than boarding in loads of ways, not having to sit down every time you stop being one...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    You surprise me Stevo, skiing always struck me as the road cycling of the winter sports world, I would have had you down as a snow boarding man myself :wink:

LQOtoa.jpg

Snowboarder? I'd never be allowed, I don't have zits and a goatee beard :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

LQOtoa.jpg

Snowboarder? I'd never be allowed, I don't have zits and a goatee beard :)

I bet Piña's a skier as well :P

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    I can ski to a reasonable standard, it may not be pretty but I can get down a black run at a reasonable pace with some control. Whilst I could skateboard as a kid trying to snowboard would be like starting again from the beginning. With limited time on quality snow why bother?
    Besides, skiing is a right laugh. I love it.
  • Flâneur
    bet arran boards so he can have a wet arse
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:

Never tried skiing myself so can't compare the two, when I was younger boarding just fitted in with my cool image, not :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Never tried skiing myself so can't compare the two, when I was younger boarding just fitted in with my cool image, not :lol:
    I don't think they'd been invented when I was young enough to have a go.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Which version?

Conception 1939.
    Patent 1961.
    Snurfer 1965.
    Burton & Sims 1981.
    Commercial success 1986.

Surely one version was around before your kind self?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • arran77
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Which version?

Conception 1939.
    Patent 1961.
    Snurfer 1965.
    Burton & Sims 1981.
    Commercial success 1986.

Surely one version was around before your kind self?

That might have been when Veronese68 was conceived :wink:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    arran77 wrote:
    That might have been when Veronese68 was conceived :wink:
    Feels like it today. Working on the Mini yesterday has done my back no good at all.
    I meant they were not really around and in the public consciousness when I started skiing. I was confident as I wrote it the I'd be corrected when someone turned up a cave painting of some Neolithic* geezer snowboarding.

* Neolithic man may or may not have done cave painting, I was just using the term to indicate a very long time ago.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was confident as I wrote it the I'd be corrected when someone turned up a cave painting of some Neolithic* geezer snowboarding.
    My pleasure to accommodate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I remember going on a skiing holiday with a big group in 1990 and there was a snowboarder who was a friend of a friend. We all thought 'who's that hippy' - so not a lot has changed really :D

Skiing is like downhill mountain biking, i.e. 8) as f***. Snowboarding is like trying to do downhill on a unicycle - might look a bit different but it's still for wierdos :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    I bet Piña's a skier as well :P
    I'll be willing to bet that 'Metal Mickey' doesn't ski or snowboard as both involve uplifts and having fun :D
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    A year ago I got kicked out of Milton Kenes ski dome for being a hazard to other skiers. All my mates were skiing, and I had only ever snowboarded (which I'm fine at), I'd never skiid. I lied at the front desk and said I had, so I could be with my mates. Thought I'd just chuck myself in at the deep end and it would be ok. Basically I couldnt really do all the turning stuff so just picked up a lot of speed in a straight line. Had two runs down, and on the third I nearly crashed into the ski lift. One of the wardens kicked me out. Meh, fcuk skiing anyway, all about boarding.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    You lot have missed a trick here.

For many summers we used to go to Les Deux Alpes. Buy lift pass snowboard on glacier till about one, including half pipe and snowpark. Same lift pass gets you uplift onto all the mtb trails. Venosc red run can be accessed from gondola which doesn't shut till 8pm.

Fancy a day not buying a lift pass? Take road bike and ride Alpe Duez. A nice 40 mile loop if you ride from Les Deux Alpe, climb the Alpe up past the heliport and down via the Col de Saurenne then back up Les Deux Alpe.

Galibier not far either!

What a place :D
  • Stevo_666
    diplodicus wrote:
    You lot have missed a trick here.

For many summers we used to go to Les Deux Alpes. Buy lift pass snowboard on glacier till about one, including half pipe and snowpark. Same lift pass gets you uplift onto all the mtb trails. Venosc red run can be accessed from gondola which doesn't shut till 8pm.

Fancy a day not buying a lift pass? Take road bike and ride Alpe Duez. A nice 40 mile loop if you ride from Les Deux Alpe, climb the Alpe up past the heliport and down via the Col de Saurenne then back up Les Deux Alpe.

Galibier not far either!

What a place :D
    Ditto Tignes.

Trouble is the snow quality of the summer skiing is pretty ropey even up above 3,000m on the glaciers - by late morning it's like skiing in mash potato. If I had the choice I'd do two separate trips, skiing in the first three months of the year and biking in summer. But as I can only go to the Alps once a year, I choose the Alps for snow and day trips to Wales for bikes :)

Either way, thank The Lord for gravity :mrgreen:
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Agreed on the snow conditions. Some runs would involve little hops over newly formed streams as lunchtime approached. Drag lifts through porridge were interesting too.
    However it did vastly improve our winter skiing/boarding. We found we would come across a rough patch on a run with a few people stood looking at it. We would just ride straight over it thinking that it was no worse than what we were used to riding in the summer.
  • Flâneur
    Christ Tignes and snow conditions in the summer makes shiver. bad memories of race training on solid ice followed by 1 run on something ok then just slush. Saying that I'd do it all over again
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    diplodicus wrote:
    Agreed on the snow conditions. Some runs would involve little hops over newly formed streams as lunchtime approached. Drag lifts through porridge were interesting too.
    However it did vastly improve our winter skiing/boarding. We found we would come across a rough patch on a run with a few people stood looking at it. We would just ride straight over it thinking that it was no worse than what we were used to riding in the summer.
    Fair point - and it's better than no skiing at all.

I guess summer skiing is a bit like winter biking - not the best sort but it makes you better overall.
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    Fair point - and it's better than no skiing at all.

I guess summer skiing is a bit like winter biking - not the best sort but it makes you better overall.

Snowboarding is still best :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Do you get to wear your helmet at a jaunty angle and wear your trousers halfway down your ar5e like Bart Simpson on his skateboard?
  • arran77
    For real dude :mrgreen:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Get a room you two :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    Room for you as well :P

seanoconn