Mirrors for drop handlebars, or helmet mirror?

Frank the Husky
Frank the Husky Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
As per the title really..any and all advice welcome for a road cyclist (obviously)

Comments

• BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    As per the title really..any and all advice welcome for a road cyclist (obviously)
    A Mirrcycle is an excellent mirror for drops but it only fits older Shimano brifters.
  • mikemusic
    mikemusic Posts: 6
    I have had one for years on my Holdsworth, top of the bars with the brake cable coming through it

Changing to a Giant TCR I did without for a few months. Hated it, like being partially sighted
    Got one for the bar end,
    Loads around on Ebay and other places

Very useful to see what is coming at you
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Do you have an injury that makes turning your head difficult or looking over your shoulder/under your arm painful?

If not, don't rely on a mirror. A glance over your shoulder communicates to other road users a glance at a mirror doesn't tell you much and tells the driver/rider behind you nothing.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Do you have an injury that makes turning your head difficult or looking over your shoulder/under your arm painful?

If not, don't rely on a mirror. A glance over your shoulder communicates to other road users a glance at a mirror doesn't tell you much and tells the driver/rider behind you nothing.
    The vast majority of cyclists I see never bother looking behind, even when changing road position or turning.
    Mirrors are useful for giving a general indication of what is going on behind, but it should not be used as a replacement for shoulder checks when turning or changing road position.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I used to use a mirricycle when commuting on the roads.

Another option is the Italian racing Mirror, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yp6_CWibSc
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~