Riser bars and angled stems query

contented
contented Posts: 83
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
I've recently gone on a ride and my wrists are killing me. I'm both overweight and unfit, so for my wrists to be the only bit that aches seems to show something is wrong. I think I need to raise the bars up a bit and so I'm looking at 30 - 40mm riser bars with a ritchey 30 deg stem.
Are there any accepted wisdoms regarding doing this, are there any obvious negatives, should I get riser bars and angled stem together or should I have one or the the other?

If it helps, I'm unlikely to ride anything more severe than the South Downs, and even that is a long way down the line. I'm on single track, trails and similar for now.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghos ... -prod81704
The bike is standard, exactly as per the link.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Raising the bars will have a bit of a negative effect on handling. A shorter stem will also put you more upright.
    Maybe some bars with just a little extra rise and a shorter stem combined would give the desired effect.
  • contented
    Raising the bars will have a bit of a negative effect on handling. A shorter stem will also put you more upright.
    Maybe some bars with just a little extra rise and a shorter stem combined would give the desired effect.

Fair enough, I'll give it a go. Thanks very much.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Maybe just try one step at once. Maybe try the bars first then see how you get on.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Also check how your brakes and gears are set up - a lot of riders have their brakes too level so they end up cocking their wrists when riding to get their fingers on the levers.

When sitting (or standing on the pedals depending which you do most of) you want your arms on the bars and to feel like ther is a straight line from forearm through wrist and into brake finger with the result that the brake lever is angled down toward the ground - mine are at around 50 degrees from horizontal - maybe more.

Another point would be not to think of the bars as being there to support your weight - your weight should be going through the pedals with your hands being light and featherweight on the bars - this allows your suspension to work, your steering to be precise and other good stuff.

Dont go spending a ton of cash on silly changes when the main one might be a little bike setup and riding skills.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • contented
    Cheers for the advice, I'll take it on board and let you know after next weeks ride.
    Thanks again.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...and other good stuff.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    ...and other good stuff.

:lol: