Deep section rims

bowdy1987
bowdy1987 Posts: 96
edited July 2014 in Road general
I've recently adopted a pair of deep section carbon rims to try out before I buy.

I understand that this question must have been asked umpteen times on forums.

But for the average Joe riding average distances at average speeds, (19mph ave over 30miles) a mixture of climbing and flat routes.

Do they make a difference or are the gains minimal amongst leisure cyclists

Comments

• dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    In one of the Specialized wind tunnel sessions I think they declared that a tighter fitting jersey would give you more gains than aero wheels. Look cool as hell though. :-)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bowdy1987 wrote:
    I've recently adopted a pair of deep section carbon rims to try out before I buy.

But for the average Joe riding average distances at average speeds, (19mph ave over 30miles) a mixture of climbing and flat routes.

I might have missed something here - but you say you've got a pair on test, so why not ride them and find out for yourself?
  • Imposter wrote:
    bowdy1987 wrote:

I might have missed something here - but you say you've got a pair on test, so why not ride them and find out for yourself?

And can you report back and let us know?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Imposter wrote:
    bowdy1987 wrote:

And can you report back and let us know?

And also provide a bit more detail about how deep they are, what make, what hubs and what tyres.

TIA
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bowdy1987
    bowdy1987 Posts: 96
    Imposter wrote:
    bowdy1987 wrote:

I have, I can't personally feel any difference.. I was fast although it could be more down to lack of wind or maybe I was trying harder...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited July 2014
    Find a flat 2-3 mile section of road, see how long you can hold 25+ mph for. I hear people go on about being able to hold higher speeds for longer with deep section wheels so give that a go.

Go attack your favourite strava segment if that helps :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    bowdy1987 wrote:
    I have, I can't personally feel any difference.. I was fast although it could be more down to lack of wind or maybe I was trying harder...

Very grossly speaking... if you remove 30 mm in the length of every spoke, which is what 50 mm rims do, it is equivalent to removing 5 spokes out of your wheel-set (say 2 front and 3 rear). The reduction in aerodynamic drag is not exactly biblical...
    Then if the rims have a favourable shape there are other minor advantages, but give or take, that's it...
    left the forum March 2023
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Who cares if they make you faster, they make your bike look lush. That's reason enough for me to have a pair.

:wink:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I tried a mates bike with deep rim wheels, because I live on the coast (Southend on Sea) I found riding in the cross winds a deeply unpleasant experience. So I won't be buying any.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Neil.S wrote:
    Who cares if they make you faster, they make your bike look lush. That's reason enough for me to have a pair.

:wink:

This alone is pushing me to a purpose, i think i am a poser
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depends how much they weigh and whether they are actually carbon or those crap Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC things with the plastic fairing. At 2kgs with tyres and tubes I couldn't get rid of the Carbones quick enough.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    I tried a mates bike with deep rim wheels, because I live on the coast (Southend on Sea) I found riding in the cross winds a deeply unpleasant experience. So I won't be buying any.

Enve's are superb in crosswinds and gusty conditions.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    philthy3 wrote:
    Depends how much they weigh and whether they are actually carbon or those crap Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC things with the plastic fairing. At 2kgs with tyres and tubes I couldn't get rid of the Carbones quick enough.

Ohh god how dare they. My RS30's are 2kg no tyres and tubes. I wouldn't say carbones are a heavy wheelset. I'd certainly take them off you if they disgust you so much.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Ive found that my Shim DA9000 C50,s on my 14 Spesh Venge Expert have made me almost exactly no faster overall than I can go on my 06 Scott CR1 with 06 Kysrium SL,s , I say almost because I can feel an advantage in certain situations like fast downhills or into a headwind but for my 17-19 mph ave speed level I havnt noticed much difference in overall ave speed.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    lawrences wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Ohh god how dare they. My RS30's are 2kg no tyres and tubes. I wouldn't say carbones are a heavy wheelset. I'd certainly take them off you if they disgust you so much.

Too late they've gone. (I did post couldn't GET RID of them quick enough.) There are better wheel sets out there and lighter for similar money, and if you go tubular, much, much lighter because of no heavy aluminium braking track and cheaper cost wise.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.