Rear air shock vs spring shock

rong236
rong236 Posts: 56
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
I bought a trek ex8 a few months ago, it's a lovely bike and I don't want to change it.
It has rear fox DCRV 130mm rear shock, I weigh about 230 pounds and I feel as if I need more travel and was badly advised from the bike shop.
I ride a lot of single track and trail centres but my riding is picking up and progressing, I find the shock bottoms out sometimes. I've put up to 245 psi in and can't afford to replace the bike. I read a post about a guy who changed his shock to a rear fox with a spring.
Will a spring rear shock be better for my weight?
"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
-Helen Keller

Comments

• rong236
    rong236 Posts: 56
    Replacement shock
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
    -Helen Keller
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You really don't want a coil shock in there. I know someone with a coil in a Remedy and he admits it doesn't pedal well.
    You should be able to set up your air shock fine. I know a lad of similar weight to you who has to run near max air pressure in his EX9 shock.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    You can always get a custom tune for your weight from Mojo when service is due.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Losing some weight not a possibility?

When you say the shock bottoms out sometimes, all shocks will do depending on what you're riding on. Bottoming out isn't a bad thing it just means you've used up your travel, however if it's bottoming out when you're riding over a small bump then you got problems.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    I'd suggest getting this PUSH tuning kit.
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/PU ... B-4575-300

I had the same trouble with my Remedy DRCV bottoming out too easily so got these for the shock and fork and it's been loads better since :).