Gaining winter points for 2015 season

steve_kay
steve_kay Posts: 197
edited July 2014 in Amateur race
Hi I'm looking at racing next season for the first time. I've been told that if you race in certain events over the winter months, any points will be added to next years total. When do these races start i.e which month? Even if I don't pick up any points, it'll be good experience for the forthcoming season. Thanks in advance

Steve

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ranking points run Dec 1st - Nov 30th - so any points scored on or after Dec 1st will count towards 2015 ranking.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ifications
  • steve_kay
    steve_kay Posts: 197
    Thanks imposter
  • grawp
    grawp Posts: 46
    Don't be in a rush to get out of 4th's though. There are a whole load of experiences to be gained in this cat and once you're in 3rd's the pace picks up markedly.
    I had a great 6 months in 4ths this year and managed a 2-up break from the 2nd lap and a solo 2 laps to go break before getting my upgrade. Now in thirds and having to build my fitness up before trying such audacious moves again.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It really doesn't on the whole I don't think, yes the best 3rd cats will quickly be into 2nd cat, but someone who makes 3rd cat in a few races from 4th is not going to struggle with the pace.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    okgo wrote:
    It really doesn't on the whole I don't think, yes the best 3rd cats will quickly be into 2nd cat, but someone who makes 3rd cat in a few races from 4th is not going to struggle with the pace.

I agree, I've never struggled with 3rd cat race pace, even after it took a few races to move up, and have only managed 21 points in the 4 years since. There's not much difference between 3rd's and 4th's in paces, there's still plenty of people who ride "do their turns on the front" to keep it at an even steady pace to make sure no-one gets dropped.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Its when you make the jump from 3rd to 2nd the quality goes up a lot as crits (around here) are mostly E/1/2.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    DavidJB wrote:
    Its when you make the jump from 3rd to 2nd the quality goes up a lot as crits (around here) are mostly E/1/2.

But even 2/3/4 races are a different level completely to 3/4 only. 2nd cat is full of people ranging from those who only just managed 40 points from racing week in week out to those who are easily 1st cat/elite level but haven't yet/don't want to move up.

Oh yes I agree. There's a large disparity in 2nd cat caused by the fact you need 200 points to move up, which isn't that easy (well not for me :))

There are some very strong 2nd cats about.