Ridley Blast 7DA Frame

Sammo123
Sammo123 Posts: 33
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon,

I need to get a new MTB frame and have spotted one of these for a good price. Are they any good? I have never heard of them so want to get some ideas before spending any money.

Cheers,

Sammo

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Link?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ridl ... prod105417

Never heard of them, looking at the photo I wouldn't get it as it has an integrated (not replaceable) mech hanger, very XC biased with that head angle, no-one states a weight either which puts me off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sammo123
    I ended up buying this frame which arrived today and I am really impressed with it! It's very very light and the mech hanger is in fact replaceable!
  • The Rookie
    OK, could only go from the photo where the hanger was painted the same colour as the rest of the frame.

Please quantify 'very light' with a weight (kitchen scales will do), always good to know my options!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Huge brand in cyclocross and road, never seen a mountain bike frame though. 26" wheels, QR dropouts, 1.125" straight steerer, no wonder it's on sale! ;-)
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    Huge brand in cyclocross and road
    Is that some form of cycling? :lol:
  • njee20
    attachment.php?attachmentid=125809&d=1403001498
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have a Ridley road and Cross bike, brilliantly made and both quick bike respectively. looked at a Ridley hardtail to complete the quiver. But that's on hold at the moment.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Let us know how you get on with the build.
  • Sammo123
    Sorry for no updates for a while. I couldn't remember my password to log in!

I finally ordered my Groupset. I went for the Shimano SLX groupset which included SLX hydraulic front and rear discs. I have ordered a Thomson seat post, hope QR seat clamp and a Charge Spoon Saddle. I am going to order some more bits today but I am really stuck on what forks to buy. I don't want to be spending mental money on them but at the same time I want something half decent! Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sammo
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I wouldn't look too far past Reba's pal, loved my pair (albeit earlier model to this link)

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-re ... 58507.html
  • Sammo123
    I weighed the frame last night and it weighs 1.78kg on my kitchen scales. I don't know if that is considered light but in comparison to what I am coming from it is positively feather weight!
  • njee20
    It's not bad for a £200 alu frame.

c£40 more gets you a 1250g carbon frame.