Saddle: Bontrager Affinity
Seat post: Bontrager
Seat post clamp: Hope bolted

Crankset: Shimano Tiagra 4603
Chain: Shimano 105 5701
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Pedals: Shimano PD-R540

Rims: Stans Alpha 340
Spokes: DTSwiss competiton (20 front 24 rear)
Hubs: Superstar 8:16 SP
Tubes: Bontrager latex
Tires: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 25mm

Accessories: Bontrager RL Bottle cages & Bar Fly Garmin mount.

Weight is yet to be measured.

So, the story to this bike; It originally started out as a 2013 Domane 2.0 bought in November 2012, which in itself was a difficult task! However in the summer of 2013 there was an incident involving my mothers driving, a low barrier and the bike on the roof on holiday. So after a quick warranty claim I ended up with a 2.3 frame with all my 2.0 parts on it. The new wheels are partly down to weighing the standard ones and being horrified, and also because due to them being poorly sealed the bearings need stripping and re-sealing every few hundred miles, so I keep those to train and ride in bad weather and use the new ones for nicer rides (as I can't exactly afford a whole new summer bike :P). All the parts have served me incredibly well through all the rainy and sandy winter, with me only having to change the Tiagra rear mech and chain recently. I haven't got much riding experience to measure it against as the last thing I rode was my dad's old Peugeot bike from the 70's, but it's incredible comfy and stable bike that I just love riding, the triple probably isn't necessary apart from at climbs near the very end of longer rides but we all have to start somewhere :)

Cheers :D

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I assume your stock Bontragers are the same as the ones I got with my Madone 2.1, you're right they weigh a tonne, I'm sure both my RS80's weigh less than one of those Alex Rims.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    How do you get a warranty claim after, presumably, your mother totalled your bike driving into a car park?
  • markhewitt1978
    Don't warranty claims on frames apply regardless as to the reason for the damage?
  • EAlcock94
    EAlcock94 Posts: 12
    oxoman wrote:
    Nice bike, I want the higher species one myself with discs, but only 2 versions available in uk so far.

Thank you :) Yeah I'd love a disc version now they've come out :P unfortunately as a student I don't think that's going to be happening for a long while :P
    I assume your stock Bontragers are the same as the ones I got with my Madone 2.1, you're right they weigh a tonne, I'm sure both my RS80's weigh less than one of those Alex Rims.

Yeah I believe they are the same. I weighed just the stock wheels at 2.1kg :shock: whereas these are about 1.35kg. Once you factor in the cassette, tyre and tube weight savings I think I've saved well over a kilo.
    Phil_D wrote:
    How do you get a warranty claim after, presumably, your mother totalled your bike driving into a car park?

For the sake of accuracy it was a motorway toll booth with a height restriction. Certainly woke me up whilst asleep in the back! :P
    Don't warranty claims on frames apply regardless as to the reason for the damage?

I don't know exactly, I just told them what had happened, they took the frame off me, scanned it (for reasons still unknown to me), and then gave me a new one. What they did about the old one or told Trek is beyond my knowledge.
  • markhewitt1978
    EAlcock94 wrote:
    I don't know exactly, I just told them what had happened, they took the frame off me, scanned it (for reasons still unknown to me), and then gave me a new one. What they did about the old one or told Trek is beyond my knowledge.

Chucked it in the bin. A replacement frame is basically nothing to a company like Trek, keeping you brand loyal is everything.

Trek is a bit like Apple in that there isn't anything particularly special about their products but they sell on their name and keeping Trek customers buying Trek is vital.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would disagree with that, Trek make some really great bikes, yeah they aren't very exciting to look at but you don't really care when they ride that well. There's a reason why the Domane was bike radar's bike of the year last year...
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    I disagree as well, Trek's are well made with good spec. I had a damaged frame an they replaced mine with an upgrade, I will remain loyal!!
  • terry2708 wrote:
    I disagree as well, Trek's are well made with good spec. I had a damaged frame an they replaced mine with an upgrade, I will remain loyal!!

If it was well made how did it get damaged and replaced under warranty?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    terry2708 wrote:

If it was well made how did it get damaged and replaced under warranty?

Perhaps his mother drove under a low barrier while it was attached to the roof of his car.
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    Chain snapped after a rear derailleur accident, the hanger broke a tiny bit of frame. Looking at your name and most of your replies, I expected a knob comment and you didn't let me down….sloppy seconds…..are you12?