J T-L

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Parkinson told journos at the Conference where he's quoted in that article, 'likely end-May'

Though suspended Tiernan-Locke's still officially employed by Sky

(his profile's off the website, but I noticed that his name stickers are still on their team buses)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Richard Moore ‏@richardmoore73 42s
    Jonathan Tiernan-Locke case, slated to be heard next week, has been postponed 'until summer... at the athlete's request,' says @ukantidoping
  • He'll get off on a technicality and then let go by the team / paid off.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bloody Team Sky behind that no doubt.

[Removes tinfoil hat]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    He'll get off on a technicality and then let go by the team / paid off.

I am starting to wonder whether this will be the outcome. the sort of jump before you are pushed scenario with JT-L retiring.

I still hope that there is some innocent explanation for this but the longer it goes on the more sceptical I am becoming
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    I think it's a prelude to retirement.

I say that as someone who doesn't know the first thing about the process.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He's still being paid isn't he? He's probably trying to squeeze a couple more months of salary out of Sky.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's still being paid isn't he? He's probably trying to squeeze a couple more months of salary out of Sky.

I imagine he'll be on one of those legendary lifetime News Corp 'retainers' 8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    RichN95 wrote:

Presumably they can ask for it all back if he gets found guilty?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Presumably they can ask for it all back if he gets found guilty?
    Probably. But I reckon they'll cut their loses and just get rid of him as quickly and quietly as possible.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    They have his samples. Doped or not. I don't understand why this has taken so long. His results the year before he joined Sky reek of a rider doping.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    To be fair, his history is so unusual it's almost impossible to judge his performances. If he was doping I'm more or less certain it was on an individual basis.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    What does the Torquay Herald Express have to say I hear you ask:

The Herald Express understands that the latest postponement is not related to any problems over evidence that ‘JTL’, as he is known, may be ready to present, but more to the availability of legal representatives.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I doubt ANYONE was surprised when the news broke judging by his results, doing from a good conti rider to the leader in the worlds is not normal
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    it's all a set up so his banning is announce during the tour, very bitter and spiteful*

*this theory is not based on anything
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I doubt ANYONE was surprised when the news broke judging by his results, doing from a good conti rider to the leader in the worlds is not normal
    I was surprised. He had been vouched for by some people I respect - eg Herety and Smith, he came to prominence through a club I have high regard for and I bought in to his story. I'm gutted by this to be honest. Maybe naive, but still gutted...!
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    The timing of his dramatic improvement is the interesting thing for me. Whether it was legit or not, he was a significantly stronger rider on his first day at Endura than when he was riding Premiers for Rapha Condor Sharp only 6 months earlier. He was one of the stronger climbers but no better than the likes of Dempster, Windsor, Bibby, McEvoy, Thwaites et al. He did step up a level for the TOB towards the back end of the season. On his first ride with Endura at their winter training camp he rode the whole team off his wheel on the climbs, which now included among a string of strong foreign riders, all those listed above. That is why he was given team leadership for Tour Med and Haut Var. Whatever he did to dramatically improve his ability, hopefully legitimate, although difficult to prove, happened some time at the back end of the season before he joined Endura.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    The day before the Tour needs a doping scandal.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Brad can take all the pressure off the team explaining how it helps rebuild the credibility of the sport.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Turfle
    lyn1 wrote:
    The timing of his dramatic improvement is the interesting thing for me. Whether it was legit or not, he was a significantly stronger rider on his first day at Endura than when he was riding Premiers for Rapha Condor Sharp only 6 months earlier. He was one of the stronger climbers but no better than the likes of Dempster, Windsor, Bibby, McEvoy, Thwaites et al. He did step up a level for the TOB towards the back end of the season. On his first ride with Endura at their winter training camp he rode the whole team off his wheel on the climbs, which now included among a string of strong foreign riders, all those listed above. That is why he was given team leadership for Tour Med and Haut Var. Whatever he did to dramatically improve his ability, hopefully legitimate, although difficult to prove, happened some time at the back end of the season before he joined Endura.

It's interesting looking back at his jump. His last year at Rapha there were lots of small, believable improvements. South Africa was good, Korea was a bit better, León was better still (climbing with Marc Goos, who was seen as a big talent), then flashes on the climbs in the Tour of Britain.

In light of previous illness etc the improvements were believable up to that point, then the Endura move and domination against a different quality of rider. When Quintana is struggling to hold your wheel, you've made a hefty jump in performance! I'd love to believe it was done legitimately, but the decrease in performance at Sky makes it really hard. The increase and then decrease in performance just fit too nearly into a dirty timeline.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Macaloon wrote:

Brad can take all the pressure off the team explaining how it helps rebuild the credibility of the sport.

Brad making a statement will only highlight the issue. If Brad talks it will make the news with a Sky doping headline. Much better if Sky make a low key statement after the tour. Lets be honest Cycling does not have much if any credibility when it comes to doping. Most people outside don't care if cyclists dope or not and are not even bothered when they are caught. "they all dope" I have heard that on more than one occasion.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “I most certainly did not ask for any such thing – I just want this over and done with to clear my name and get my life back,” said Tiernan-Locke. "As I understand it, we were due to go to the hearing next week but one of my legal team is involved in another case and that has or is over-running by a couple of days.

“But that situation is enough to make it difficult to instantly set up a new hearing as both sides, witnesses and so on were affected. So, it was decided – not by me as the statement reads – that the hearing should be delayed.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    “I most certainly did not ask for any such thing – I just want this over and done with to clear my name and get my life back,” said Tiernan-Locke. "As I understand it, we were due to go to the hearing next week but one of my legal team is involved in another case and that has or is over-running by a couple of days.

“But that situation is enough to make it difficult to instantly set up a new hearing as both sides, witnesses and so on were affected. So, it was decided – not by me as the statement reads – that the hearing should be delayed.”

The reality (if he is to believed) is rarely as much fun as the rumours/speculations.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Anyone brave enough to visit the Asylum and report back?
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Nathan Haas wins 2012 TOB then?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Well that is highly disappointing. So many in the pro peloton, France especially, will say I told you so. Really wish it wasn't the case.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Just a few weeks earlier:
    http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/L ... story.html
    JONATHAN Tiernan-Locke believes that his best days as a bike racer could still be ahead of him, once he clears his name of the 'blood values' case still hanging over South Devon's popular Tour of Britain winner.
    Although I am 29, I believe I am capable of more than I have produced so far, and it's still my ambition to do that.
    My contract is up this year, and I am not in a position to negotiate a new one yet.
    I'm not sure what will happen really as, even if I'm cleared and there is no appeal, I will have effectively served a year's suspension.
    I've been out of competition since last September already, and those eight months have been hard to take.
    When this is all over, I'll just have to weigh up my options – perhaps even racing in the UK again.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Banned until 31.12.2015