NUMPTY questions about gears

Coppi me
Coppi me Posts: 59
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
right then......I hear the terms BIG gears, SMALL gears, HIGH gears, LOW gears

can someone explain these terminologies for me as I'd like to get the most out of my riding and the experiences of other posters advice on here

just been looking at an article on how Moser broke Mercx's hour record and it mentions training in big gears

"Their solution was to get Moser to do uphill intervals, at very low revs per minute in a high gear.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling- ... -intervals"

so in effect, did he use the smallest or largest cog on his cassette with the smaller or larger chain ring?

thanks in advance

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Higher gears = small at the back and/or large at the front and give you low rpm or cadence

Low gears, the opposite of above
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    big gear= high gear = large chainring (front cog) and small sprocket (rear cog)
    small gear = low gear= small chainring and large sprocket

In a big gear i.e 52 tooth chainring and 13 tooth sprocket your rear wheel with turn 4 times for each turn of the pedal (52/13 =4)
    Small gear 34 chainring and 27 sprocket your rear wheel only goes arounf for 1 1/4 turn for each turn of the pedal.
    As you don't get something for nothing 52/13 is a lot harder to turn than 34/27 at the same cadence (pedalling speed0. Conversely you need to pedal a lot quick in 34/27 to go the same speed at someone in 52/13
  • Coppi me
    Coppi me Posts: 59
    cheers, understand it better now
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's the same as in a car really:

A low gear (first gear) will allow you to get up a hill easily, but the engine will be screaming as it "pedals" really fast and you won't be able to go very quickly overall in first gear.

A big gear is great on the motorway, you can go quickly with the engine running quite slowly and efficiently - but you won't make it up a hill easily.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    marcusjb wrote:
    It's the same as in a car really:

A low gear (first gear) will allow you to get up a hill easily, but the engine will be screaming as it "pedals" really fast and you won't be able to go very quickly overall in first gear.

A big gear is great on the motorway, you can go quickly with the engine running quite slowly and efficiently - but you won't make it up a hill easily.

A man who thinks like I do. On a bike, a "low" gear is generally when the chain is closer to the frame (small chainring, big rear sprocket) and a high gear when the chain is on the outside away from the frame.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    drlodge wrote:
    A man who thinks like I do.

?? Is there another view on this? It can get a bit confusing when people talk about moving 'up' the gears on the cassette because many people may consider moving 'up' the cassette is moving to a bigger sprocket, which is actually moving to a lower gear, or 'down' a gear. But surely your 'thought' on top gear being away from the frame and bottom gear being close to the frame is 'fact', not an opinion? Are there people out there who believe its the other way around??
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Stop worrying about definitions and just use the right gear for the speed your regular cadence (rate at which you spin the pedals) gives you. Don't overthink it.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • drlodge
    Schoie81 wrote:
    It can get a bit confusing when people talk about moving 'up' the gears on the cassette because many people may consider moving 'up' the cassette is moving to a bigger sprocket, which is actually moving to a lower gear, or 'down' a gear.

Indeed. I would interpret that as simply changing gear, and not being sure which way higher or lower.

What I quoted is fact, in my opinion :roll: :wink: In a car, 1st gear = lowest number = lowest gear. If someone has a different opinion, they are wrong :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited July 2014
    When i've occasionally thought about it when riding, which isn't often, i've sometimes noticed i think of "low" gears as being the stiffer gears and "high" gear as being the easier to pedal arrangements. Don't drive so i've never really had a frame of referance. I guess it's down to the fact i always think of the rear cassette as a hill. The chain is either on the 'lower' part of the cassette (small ring) or up on the 'higher' parts (big rings).
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Reminds me of the time I bought my first MTB in the late 1980's, 18sp. 48/38/28 - 13/30T FW. This was the period when indexed gearing was a recent development and I was having problems with the lower gears slipping when climbing so I took it back to the LBS.

I explained to the elderly lady co-owner, an experienced cyclist, that when in the 28T F 30T R bottom gear, pointing to the 30T sprocket, the chain slipped down to the next cog. "BOTTOM gear, that's not bottom gear, that's TOP gear, That's Bottom gear," pointing to the 13T sprocket.

This completely baffled me so I naively asked, don't bike transmissions work in a similar way to cars, e.g. bottom/first (large sprocket) is a low gear for climbing hills, and top/fourth or fifth gear (small sprocket) is for cruising at higher speeds. Or, are you referring to the physical location of the gears? I never got a satisfactory answer, just, "Everyone knows that, that is top gear (30T) and that is bottom gear 13T."

I did wonder whether this was how gearing on bikes was referred to in the past, it always puzzled me. As I left the shop I felt like a naughty schoolboy who had failed an exam! :( Anyway that spurred me on to learn how to maintain my own bikes instead of keep going back to a shop.

Would be interested to know if anyone else had heard that terminology used in reference to bicycle gearing.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    High is hard, low is easy.
  • drlodge
    DJ58 wrote:
    Would be interested to know if anyone else had heard that terminology used in reference to bicycle gearing.

Only by numpties and old biddies.
    Find me on Strava