Recommend me some disc brake cross wheels for under £200

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
edited July 2014 in Cyclocross
I bought a Forme Calver CX disc last year, with the intention of doing some cylco cross. I never did, but I use the bike as my commuting bike now. The stock wheels are hopeless, so I'd like to upgrade to something better, but don't want to spend more than £200 for the set.

I can't seem to find any disc compatible wheels for less than £300.

Ok...go! :wink:
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• On-One Reet'ard 29er wheels currently £175

Don't just look for road wheels, mountain bike 29er wheels will work as well depending on how narrow you want to go with your tyres.
    Nil Points
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Personally, I'm spending an extra 20 quid and getting the Superstar/Stans Ironcross combo. Lightest wheel set you're likely to find under 300 quid, and my experience with Stans rims is that they are pretty tough (although they can be a complete b***h to get tyres on to!).

1645gms and 220quid for the pair. Yeah, that'll do me.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=835
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • y33stu
    Thanks for those, not come across either. Should say I'm currently running 28mm Gatorskins. Don't want to sacrifice slicks, as all riding is on road. So will the One one take them? No description on the site
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Jezwick
    Jezwick Posts: 8
    Clank wrote:
    Personally, I'm spending an extra 20 quid and getting the Superstar/Stans Ironcross combo. Lightest wheel set you're likely to find under 300 quid, and my experience with Stans rims is that they are pretty tough (although they can be a complete b***h to get tyres on to!).

1645gms and 220quid for the pair. Yeah, that'll do me.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=835
    to be honest combined with this

All Wheels include:
    2 year warranty
    Crash replacement discount scheme
    Lifetime free truing service

makes your suggestion a winner
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    The Iron Cross rims are for CX tyres, recommended max pressure is 45psi, therefore not suited to road tyres
  • y33stu
    If I can also look at 29er wheels, I've come across these : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod111099

Would they fit? I don't know the axel widths of front and rear though. Forme don't have a customer service department I can contact to find out. :(
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As Tincaman said, dont get Iron Cross for the road - I looked into this in depth and they really cant run at high enough pressures.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Planet X tubs might of worked? They did a carbon rim CX wheel, but sadly discontinued....

Real hole in the market for a light CX width, disc wheelset that can run road tyres.
  • apreading
    If you can afford it might be worth spending a bit more at £235 for the Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels at probikekit (using code SAVE10PBK for 10 percent off). Should work with road tyres too.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    apreading wrote:
    If you can afford it might be worth spending a bit more at £235 for the Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels at probikekit (using code SAVE10PBK for 10 percent off). Should work with road tyres too.
    Yes I have these, and currently running Pro4 Endurance in 25mm with no problems. Because of the wheel rim internal diameter (24mm) they do blow up to 28mm so you will need the clearance for 28mm tyres. Weight came in at 1640g
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    tincaman wrote:
    The Iron Cross rims are for CX tyres, recommended max pressure is 45psi, therefore not suited to road tyres

A friend has followed this up directly with Stans after reading the same thing about the Crest 29er rim.

Apparently, Stans quoted PSI figures apply to *tubeless* set ups, not tubed. The rims run at 85psi with tubes - which work for me.

...now to wait for Superstars to get another fresh stock!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • apreading
    I have had both Stans and a couple of wheel builders tell me otherwise for the Iron Cross...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    On_What wrote:
    Real hole in the market for a light CX width, disc wheelset that can run road tyres.

Velocity Aileron will be available soon, both as rim and possibly as wheelset too. That seems to me the best arrpoach

1) 25 mm wide
    2) Tubeless ready
    3) Optimised for road tyres too as well as bigger tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • ukjim
    ukjim Posts: 39
    Hi ugo

where would one buy the aileron rims?

I am looking to replace the mavic open sport rims on my cross bike

cheers
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,508
    I'd be interested in the Ailerons too, I've decided that the CX bike will be doing it all this year so I'd like to get a new set of wheels for the road so the ratty old wheels I have at the moment can be used for off road duty with CX tyres left on full time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    They will be imported by Brick Lane Bikes, as all other Velocity rims. I don't have a date yet... will probably be quite pricey... my guess is 90 quid a piece. Right now you can only buy them from US retailers.
  • ukjim
    ukjim Posts: 39
    cheers ugo

might just go for the HED belgium +'s then.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ukjim wrote:
    cheers ugo

might just go for the HED belgium +'s then.

:D
  • monkimark
    Having snapped another spoke on my battered old wheels I decided a new set of wheels was in order - got a pair of the V3 crosslight CX for £239 with free next day delivery from Freeborn Bikes in Horsham.
    Weighed in at 1615g the pair with rim tape and nowt else on the kitchen scales and having fitted the back wheel alone I've cut 350g ish from the old clunkers (which will now be fitted with CX tyres for offroad weekends once the broken spoke is sorted). They look pretty good too.
    Was originally considering the Novatec CXD but £120 extra per pair, limited availability and concerns about a 20 spoke front wheel combined to make that a no go.
  • tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    ^that's like 60g over the stated weight, not cool imo

I got one of these front wheels 30g over weight, on a 689g wheel that's like 5%.... too much imo

I asked kinesis about this and their responses were like "maybe the weight is without rim tape", "we don't have any tolerances on weight".... they didn't seem to know much about them and stopped responding to my emails after a bit - didn't fill me with much confidence tbh

however they do seem like the best value wheelset out there, I wonder if there are any other wheels close to this weight for under £300
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I seem to remember my 'handbuilt" H Plus Son Archetype with Novatec hubs weighted in around this weight (or 100g heavier for the set) and were around £300 delivered.
    Simon
  • monkimark
    To be fair, I'm not going to notice 30g and the kitchen scales may not be 100% accurate anyway
  • lxtwin
    lxtwin Posts: 12
    I use these on my CAADX 105 Shimano RX05 Centre Lock Disc.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/rx05-8-9-10-speed-centre-lock-disc-rear-wheel-ec057479
    They are about £130 a set.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    how are you finding the RX05s? I've been considering getting a pair as commuter duty / spare wheels? I understand they are bit weighty but that's not a big deal for the considered purpose.
  • lxtwin
    lxtwin Posts: 12
    I am happy with them. They are 8,9 and 10 speed, I have a 10 speed 105 set up and have 700c 28 conti 4 season tyres for week days and switch back to the 700c 35s on the weekend. I know that people think about weight, but I am 6"1 and 220+ lb so saving a few lb or oz does not bother me. The only thing I would say is that you can also look at the RX31s if you want 10 / 11 speed, but these are about £70 more per set.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Thanks for the info, I might keep an eye out for a pai for the winter. Cheers