Rapha left armband

pipipi
pipipi Posts: 332
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
Please point out where I've gone wrong...

Rapha is a British company. British riders ride on the left. Overtaking cars would see the right arm of a rider more than the left arm.

So why is the Rapha contrast armband bit on the left?

I could understand the left arm for a continental team, but wondering why a British company is also doing it that side?

Any ideas why it is the left arm?

Comments

• pipipi wrote:

Given it too much thought?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pipipi wrote:

Given it too much thought?

Given a flying F...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The white armband on is on the left arm of rapha clothing as it represents the suffering of the great Flemish classics rider of the 1930s, De Hardman. He was famous for wearing a white armband on his left arm used for wiping away the pain and anguish of the hills. He was only ever photographed in black and white, looking grubby, so was ideal inspiration for rapha and their worship of the suffering.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    You almost had me until you said hills ;-)

If it's just a choice of style that's fine.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    When they were first coming up with the design a local cyclist was killed in a road accident (can't remember the persons name) but they wanted to show some respect and the left Rapha arm band was "born"

SV
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    marcusjb wrote:
    The white armband on is on the left arm of rapha clothing as it represents the suffering of the great Flemish classics rider of the 1930s, De Hardman. He was famous for wearing a white armband on his left arm used for wiping away the pain and anguish of the hills. He was only ever photographed in black and white, looking grubby, so was ideal inspiration for rapha and their worship of the suffering.

Did De Hardman also have ludicrous facial hair and a propensity to strike uncomfortable looking poses on his bike outside boutique cafes?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    No, that was all Raphas own doing. Its no coincidence "Rapha Cycling" is an anagram of "w**ker" in a remote Flemmish dialect. or not
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    4kicks wrote:
    No, that was all Raphas own doing. Its no coincidence "Rapha Cycling" is an anagram of "w**ker" in a remote Flemmish dialect. or not

Chip on shoulder quite heavy is it?
  • Do you have it on back to front?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    So you bought one of the prototypes :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    4kicks wrote:

I think you're getting confused with 'Newark' :-)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I contacted Rapha and they said a very reasonable charge of £2000 to change the armband over the the right.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    4kicks wrote:

Chip on shoulder quite heavy is it?

Ah because Rapha < Assoss.
    But to be honest it all looks a bit faint as you ride past them.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.