L2B Off Road - CX Tyres

towersw
towersw Posts: 9
edited August 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi guys,

I'm looking at doing the London to Brighton Off Road ride this year on a Boardman CX Team. It's got Schwalbe Marathons on at the mo, what CX tyres would you recommend?

Anybody done it?

Cheers

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Not done it on a cross bike but done it a couple of times on a mountain bike. I might give it a go on my cross bike this year, but my mates do it on MTBs. Did see a few people on cross bikes last year. Most of it is hard packed path with a few more technical bits that can get muddy. Did see a guy on a cross bike walking a descent in the North Downs as it was too slippery and technical. The climb up onto the south downs is quite rocky as is the descent. I would go for something more knobbly as it will be fine on the Downs Link path, better in the muddy bits and just a bit draggy on the road sections. Still quicker than an MTB though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Vittoria XG seems a reasonable compromise for summer
    left the forum March 2023
  • towersw
    I think I'll be fine as long as it's not too wet... then it could be a nightmare. The Vittoria's look good.
  • towersw

Ugo, will these fit alright on Crest ZTRs?

The bike came with them, heard they're a nightmare for a lot of tyres...
  • ugo.santalucia
    towersw wrote:

Ugo, will these fit alright on Crest ZTRs?

The bike came with them, heard they're a nightmare for a lot of tyres...

Hard battle with those rims!
  • towersw
    Yeah, I was slightly gutted the bloke I bought it off had put those rims on it!

Been trawling through forums for someone with a story about getting tyres on easily...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Your best bet is to use 29er tyres, which is what these rims are designed to take... provided any of them fit in your frame... mine will take up to 1.5 inch tyres... most 29er are > 2 inch
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Difference between 29er and 700c tyres is...what exactly? Width? They're the same diameter.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    Difference between 29er and 700c tyres is...what exactly? Width? They're the same diameter.

It's a mixture or rim profile and width, I have tried to come to terms with the difference in this article, but probably needs updating

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ake-matter
  • towersw
    Your best bet is to use 29er tyres, which is what these rims are designed to take... provided any of them fit in your frame... mine will take up to 1.5 inch tyres... most 29er are > 2 inch

Ugo, I found an old thread that had a picture of a bike of yours (black bike, green detailing, brooks saddle, ZTR Alpha 340s) - what tyres did you have on that set up?
  • veronese68
    towersw wrote:
    Ugo, I found an old thread that had a picture of a bike of yours (black bike, green detailing, brooks saddle, ZTR Alpha 340s) - what tyres did you have on that set up?
    Follow this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12942781
  • ugo.santalucia
    Vittoria XN or XG... but those are Alpha 340... they take all tyres, they are very loose fit
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    40mm Schwalbe Smart Sam will fit a Crest rim no problem and should run tubeless - don't go too high on the pressure though. I've been spending the last week near Peebles and riding my CX bike around The MTB trails at Glentress and Innerleithin - a couple of laps of the red XC course at Innerleithin was working my tyres hard- Surly Knard 700x40. Got a few funny looks as most as riding full-sus all mountain / enduro rigs and certainly the only bike with Campagnolo in the whole forest! If the bike can survive this, then they'll be laughing at the stuff back home - off to Isle of Mull for some real wilderness!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • towersw
    Monty Dog wrote:
    40mm Schwalbe Smart Sam will fit a Crest rim no problem and should run tubeless - don't go too high on the pressure though. I've been spending the last week near Peebles and riding my CX bike around The MTB trails at Glentress and Innerleithin - a couple of laps of the red XC course at Innerleithin was working my tyres hard- Surly Knard 700x40. Got a few funny looks as most as riding full-sus all mountain / enduro rigs and certainly the only bike with Campagnolo in the whole forest! If the bike can survive this, then they'll be laughing at the stuff back home - off to Isle of Mull for some real wilderness!

Monty, will 40mm Smart Sams easily fit a Crest 29er rim?

I just wrestled off the Schwalbe Marathons (35mm)... blisters galore.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    towersw wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Monty, will 40mm Smart Sams easily fit a Crest 29er rim?

I just wrestled off the Schwalbe Marathons (35mm)... blisters galore.

I've run them on Crests as well as my mate on a number of times along the Southdowns Way. It would appear that the newer ones have slacker beads judging by difficulty in getting new tyres to run tubeless - ghetto rimstrip is the answer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • veronese68
    Hmmm, that was careless. It would appear I'm doing this again, but I'll do it on the CX this time. I wonder what the biggest tyres I can get in a Pro6 are. A bit more air would make things more comfortable on the Downs Link, might rattle my fillings out otherwise.