Racing in/near Cambridge

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited July 2014 in Amateur race
I'm going to be trying out one of the local clubs TT's (Hardwick, next Thursday) to see how I enjoy the racing scene. Is there anything within a reasonable drive of Cambridge that is good to know of? I'm hoping to maybe find some crit racing if possible, that looks a blast.

Comments

• olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    You can also get to the Gravesend Cyclopark in less than an hour, and I think it's a similar distance to the new Velopark. Both are quite technical, but fast, circuits.

I think there are ongoing consultations regarding a circuit in Cambridge, but I'm not sure how positive the outlook is as the planned site was on greenbelt land. As Luke say, there will probably be something in the next 10 years.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • MountainMonster
    Define reasonable? The closest crit races are MK bowl (very good, proper crit racing, about 45-60 minutes drive) or Hog Hill in North London which is less of a crit but still good, and about an hours drive. Unfortunately there isn't (yet) anything actually in Cambridge but bet there will be in 10 years time.

I grew up in the states, that sort of distance my commute to high school, so I don't mind them!

I just had a look at the MK Bowl, it looks pretty good! Hogs Hill looks good too. I'll have to give them a try. Are there any special requirements to do some of the races? Will a British Cycling membership cover me?
    olake92 wrote:
    consultations regarding a circuit in Cambridge, but I'm not sure how positive the outlook is as the planned site was on greenbelt land. As Luke say, there will probably be something in the next 10

That sounds good, I like the look of Gravesend as well.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There are no special requirements for racing, although being fit enough to compete on level terms will help. BC membership will be useful, although a day licence will be needed if you do not have a BC race licence.
  • MountainMonster
    Imposter wrote:
    There are no special requirements for racing, although being fit enough to compete on level terms will help. BC membership will be useful, although a day licence will be needed if you do not have a BC race licence.

That's great, thanks. I know the local TT club does day memberships at £3, will it be about the same for the races normally? Obviously I will have to pay the race entry on top of that, i'm assuming.
  • imposter2.0
    Day licence will be between £5-£10 - depending on your BC membership level. This will be on top of the race entry.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Imposter wrote:
    Day licence will be between £5-£10 - depending on your BC membership level. This will be on top of the race entry.

A full race licence will only cost you 17.50 for the rest of the year if you're a silver member already.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • imposter2.0
    As above - if you plan on doing any more than one event, then a full licence makes a lot of sense regardless...
  • MountainMonster
    Thanks for the input guys, it has been of great assistance. Hopefully catch some people in a bit!