Advice on which Cyclocross…?

el_gato
el_gato Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi, I'm new to the forum and after 2 weeks of research have arrived at 3 bikes to chose from…
1. Boardman CX Team Bike 2014 - £899
2. Cannondale CAADX DISC 5 105 - £1099
3. Merida CYCLO CROSS 4 - £999

All look good spec the later 2 are on 105 group set and the Boardman on SRAM Apex

Despite Boardmans association with Halfords I kinda like the frame finish of the boardman.
My overall preference was the Cannondale
But the Merida seems to be best overall spec and under £1k

What's the consensus among those in the know and why please? :D
Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Boardman frames made by Merida if that helps? You're paying a premium for the Cannondale just because of the brand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    Planet XXLS.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • el_gato
    Thanks Monty Dog, good points, well made!
    Balls1310… WOW the Planet X is a helluv a lotta bike in the same budget… however, it can't take a proper set of mud guard which I know I.m going to want in winter… what a shame!
  • tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    If you're willing to spend £1100 on the Cannondale, why not think about getting the Boardman, selling the wheels and spending the leftover £200 - £300 on a better wheelset?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you opt for the Merida be patient. I chose one for my C2W bike but having to wait 4+ weeks for my size, 55cm, to come back in stock was too long. Now opted for a Forme Culver CX Sport which the shop is doing for £1k.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • el_gato
    tehtehteh wrote:
    If you're willing to spend £1100 on the Cannondale, why not think about getting the Boardman, selling the wheels and spending the leftover £200 - £300 on a better wheelset?

I really wanted to avoid customising a brand new bike bearing in mind my budget started at £700 ... I've convinced myself it's worth spending a little more to get a good all round starter package... Besides, isn't the 105 groups et far superior on the cannondale than boardman?
  • tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    wheels are pretty much the easiest customisation and probably the most beneficial

I have rival and it's lighter than ultegra, I'm pretty sure apex is lighter than 105, I'll let someone else inform you about the quality as I've never ridden it

plus I'm a big fan of sram ergonomics, the rival levers felt good in my hands whereas shimano didn't, but that's just personal

that's my opinion anyway, I think the boardman is a decent bike and best value there, and with upgraded wheels will be a lot better than the cannondale for the same price, others may disagree
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    The mudguard issue is the reason I've not yet gone for th XLS, still undecided if I will regret it.

Depending on how much cross you will actually do, thought this was quite interesting about the new Defy disc

http://road.cc/content/news/123546-gian ... isc-brakes
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    You can get 10% off the Boardman if you have BC membership. If you're quick you might find that Halfords still have 10% off anyway, so you'd get both discounts.

Might help focus the mind and also open up the option of some Kinesis CX disc wheels too...?
  • el_gato
    The Boardman really is tempting, I have a pal who has the 2013 model but the reviews on their own website don't inspire confidence...http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -2014#tab3 has anyone actually bought one of the CX Team bikes yet?
  • bigmul
    Well I definitely have!!

Plus you might want to read the 100+ pages on the Boardman CX bikes in commuting chat:
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12796558
  • I'd advise the Merida CX4, but thats only because I've had one for commuting & loved it, I can't comment on the others as I've not tried them but I'd buy another Merida CX4
  • lxtwin
    lxtwin Posts: 12
    Are you going to use it for other things besides CX ? I have a CAADX with 2 sets of wheels; I commute on the 28mm during the week then change the wheels to 35mm for the weekends. I went for a CX bike because of where I cycle (a lot of sand and dirt) and my shape and found the Cannondale 56 to fit slightly better. I am 6"1 and around 220lb, but have short legs; a 31" inside seam. See if you can ride some and see how the frame fits; and think if you want to upgrade the crankset as the Cannondale has a BB30 and there are less options for a sub £300 upgrade. Someone mentioned wheels, the wheels on CX bikes are a bit different, a road bike is 130mm and a MTB is 135mm, this is the same as a CX so you would be looking at a Shimano RX05 Centre Lock Disc for the CAADX.

I think a lot is to do with how well it fits and how you want to use it. That said I have been very happy with mine.
  • el_gato
    I'd advise the Merida CX4, but thats only because I've had one for commuting & loved it, I can't comment on the others as I've not tried them but I'd buy another Merida CX4

Matt great diary… jeez that a lot of miles you do mate, I'm amazed! Sounds like the Merida was very good virtually out of the box!
  • el_gato
    lxtwin wrote:
    Are you going to use it for other things besides CX ? I have a CAADX with 2 sets of wheels; I commute on the 28mm during the week then change the wheels to 35mm for the weekends. I went for a CX bike because of where I cycle (a lot of sand and dirt) and my shape and found the Cannondale 56 to fit slightly better. I am 6"1 and around 220lb, but have short legs; a 31" inside seam. See if you can ride some and see how the frame fits; and think if you want to upgrade the crankset as the Cannondale has a BB30 and there are less options for a sub £300 upgrade. Someone mentioned wheels, the wheels on CX bikes are a bit different, a road bike is 130mm and a MTB is 135mm, this is the same as a CX so you would be looking at a Shimano RX05 Centre Lock Disc for the CAADX.

I think a lot is to do with how well it fits and how you want to use it. That said I have been very happy with mine.

That's a good question…I was a mountain biker (that never went on mountains) and until some scrote nicked my 'uninsured' Scott I used to ride bridal paths/ canal tow paths etc with a slick tyre. I haven't ridden a racer since I was a kid but really would like to build up fitness then start hitting the roads more. I have a couple mates with CXs and it seems the perfect bike for what I need over the next 12 months.
  • el_gato wrote:
    I'd advise the Merida CX4, but thats only because I've had one for commuting & loved it, I can't comment on the others as I've not tried them but I'd buy another Merida CX4

Matt great diary… jeez that a lot of miles you do mate, I'm amazed! Sounds like the Merida was very good virtually out of the box!

It was great out of the box but needed a couple of minor tweaks to suit my riding style (tyres/cassette ratios), otherwise everything was just wear and tear 8)
  • el_gato
    bigmul wrote:
    You can get 10% off the Boardman if you have BC membership. If you're quick you might find that Halfords still have 10% off anyway, so you'd get both discounts.

Might help focus the mind and also open up the option of some Kinesis CX disc wheels too...?

Sorry to be ignorant ...BC? ...do any other retailers offer affiliated discounts on any other brands?
  • bigmul
    BC = British Cycling