Child seat for my 'awkward' bike

Dr_Pips
Dr_Pips Posts: 10
Hi All,

I have a Giant XTC 3 which I barely use, but want to get back into it again. I'd really like to get a child seat to fit to the back so I can take my 1 year old as well. The only problem is that where the adaptors would attach is the wires for the front derailer. I spoke to the guy from Halfords who didn't really have a solution, other than one of the seats that fits inbetween the rider and the handlebars, but these only go up to a baby with a weight of 15kg, too low. Or a trailer, but I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Has anyone come across this before, and do you have a solution?

Thanks,

Dom

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    It is a hardtail MTB so could take a rear rack. Many rack mount seats available.

Does it have eyelets on chainstays? I guess not. The solution below would work.

I have a copilot seat with a disc compatible Blackburn Ex-1 rack. It mounts to the QR skewer (extra long - supplied). At the top it needs either seat stay eyelets, P Clips, or a replacement saddle clamp that gives a mount point (see here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/m-p ... rrency=GBP )
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Having had my kids in both seats and trailers over the years I have to say a trailer blows the seat out of the water. The kids prefer it and the riding experience is so so much nicer with a trailer - also very handy for doing the shopping.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    +1 to the trailer
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    You can get a Hamax seat and it will fit no problem. The fixing bracket will mount behind your cables and let them run freely.