Cracked Bont Vaypor heel :(

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited July 2014 in Road general
I bought these second-hand around 4 months ago and they had been used by the previous owner for one season of racing. They're around 10 months old. They were in excellent condition when I got them and I've certainly looked after them too and never crashed them. I also went out and bought an oven thermometer to accurately bake the mould-able sole to the correct temperature.

I noticed the other day that my clip-out foot (right) was feeling flexible when the heel was down. I inspected the shoe to find the heel severely cracked in lots of directions emanating from the heel pad.

I can physically push and flex the rear of the sole and see it moving so these are now offering little heel support imo. I've e-mailed Bont and I'm awaiting their response.

Just a few notes. I walk around 10 steps per day in them to get to my bike, I weigh under 10-stone so it's not like I'm adding masses of force to a weak area of the shoe.

If Bont aren't willing to help, is there anyway I can possibly rescue and repair these shoes myself before they crack completely in half? I'm wondering if I remove the rear heel rubber, clean up the surface area and possible layer up some more carbon resin or fibre-glass, whether that should hold up and prevent the shoe from cracking apart even more?

Anyone any advice?

Thanks
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There are a couple of firms who repair carbon frames and wheels. Google and contact them ?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    How long ago did you email Bontrager? I would hold off saying anything bad on a forum unless it has been countless months.
  • CRAIGO5000
    It's not Bontrager, it's Bont BUT point duly noted and I have amended my initial post.

I'm now a little dubious though as ironically, I take receipt of my third pair of Bont shoes tomorrow. My first pair was the Riot model which came away at the toe after a single ride and was returned to the shop where I bought them from a few days later.
    Now this cracking has occurred to my Vaypors, and tomorrow I get my custom coloured White/Red/Blue Vaypors delivered. I'm spending more money on Bont shoes than my wife spends on ANY shoes haha!

Another member in my club is also on his second pair of Vaypors (the newer boa models) as the carbon cracked on those but he got a warranty replacement out of it.

I'm just concerned if this is becoming a common trend particularly with the Vaypor model owing to the fact it has such a super thin stack height?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Two pairs have developed defects and you've bought a third? Now that's brand loyalty ;-)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • They're notorious for cracking if walked in - just ask the Endura boys!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    It's not Bontrager, it's Bont BUT point duly noted and I have amended my initial post.

I'm now a little dubious though as ironically, I take receipt of my third pair of Bont shoes tomorrow. My first pair was the Riot model which came away at the toe after a single ride and was returned to the shop where I bought them from a few days later.
    Now this cracking has occurred to my Vaypors, and tomorrow I get my custom coloured White/Red/Blue Vaypors delivered. I'm spending more money on Bont shoes than my wife spends on ANY shoes haha!

Another member in my club is also on his second pair of Vaypors (the newer boa models) as the carbon cracked on those but he got a warranty replacement out of it.

I'm just concerned if this is becoming a common trend particularly with the Vaypor model owing to the fact it has such a super thin stack height?

My apologies, got confused between companies. It could very well be down to the stack height of the shoes, if it is a fairly thin layup of carbon it could have stress issues. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the shoes themselves, so I can't really shed too much light.

You may be having problems due to buying the shoes second hand, off of a racer of all people. They would have been seriously stressed by him.

I hope you get this sorted though, and just remember to give Bont enough time to respond that is normal for businesses, not people. I can often take upwards of a week to respond to things for work depending on how much stuff has come in, and that is not uncommon in warranty/customer services departments.
  • CRAIGO5000
    My new purchase arrived today - gawd they're lovely in white/red/blue.

I'll be baking those asap and staying off the broken pair until Bont get back. In the meantime, I'll look into carbon repairers or see if it's even feasible to lay-up some carbon myself.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Too much cafe stop walking ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Crap quality in my experience too. I went through 2-3 replacement Bonts too. Cracked carbon but on the instep near the 1st metatarsal. I got them replaced but under warranty. I think you've still got a chance. Phone the distributor - Saddleback I believe. Explain you've had several pairs loyal customer etc etc.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Well I've got to hand it to them, Bont are shipping me a brand new pair as we speak.

To be honest, I've not yet tried a pair of shoes that are better so I'm glad Bont are treating their customers with the respect they deserve. I'm loyal to the brand, because they are a fantastic shoe on the bike.

I did ask if this was a common issue with the Vaypor (shallow stack height) and they replied that measures have since been put in place to rectify this fault. It was requested to hand over my shoes serial number (yep you heard it right!) so perhaps there are known periods where problems have occurred?

Either way, great shoes and great customer service by Bont.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Things have turned into a bit of a mare now...

I received a replacement pair sent over from China via Fedex and they sent me the wrong size. I got back on the email and politely asked how I could return them in exchange for the correct size. I received a message asking for proof that the wrong size had been sent so I photographed the size inside the shoe and emailed it over. I got no response for a few days and chased it up again. I then got a reply from the sales advisor in China that he's tried to get in touch with the UK customer services and they haven't replied to him. I've asked if he'll kindly keep me updated with the situation. I feel like I've been a little fobbed off.

To make matters worse, Fedex today posted through a customs charge for the delivery of the wrongly sized shoes from China for over £15!

Cocking hell...
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    My last set of shoes lasted 10 years, at least 25,000 miles, current set on 4000+ miles and I'll bet my ass I walk more in them then you do. Stop buying expensive super light shoes if you want them to be reliable.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I'm glad Bont are treating their customers with the respect they deserve.

But you arent a Bont customer.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    styxd wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

How do you work that out?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Rolf F wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

He bought his shoes second hand :?:
  • styxd wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

He bought some custom coloured Bont's though. Pretty sure that makes him a Bont customer...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    styxd wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

CRAIGO5000 wrote:

And, of course, whilst shoes aren't a great example, a strong second hand value still effectively supports the original manufacturer. The shoes you sell will be replaced by a new pair of shoes - if you weren't able to sell the first pair, you maybe wouldn't buy a new pair. The manufacturer benefits from the second hand market.
    Faster than a tent.......