Training to lower heart rate

emann
emann Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

my first post here; male, 42 years, 90kg, 175cm tall, quite athletic but looking to improve my health and maybe loose 7-10kg.

I read with interest the article of training with a heart rate monitor and especially the part where to maintain zone 2 even if you have to get off the mountain bike and walk an uphill to control the heart rate....I also read various sites where aerobic exercise and maintaining this zone will lower your resting heart rate. As at the moment I am trying to achieve this personally...my resting heart rate is always 80ish and i often read others who have it constantly below 60 or lower. Whilst I am no elite athtlete and do not excpect any major improvements, i still believe I have a lot where to improve.

In view of this and with a new Garmin 910XT, I would appreciate any insight or training plans you can recommend to achieve this.

Tks
emann

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll get far more insight on things like HR training on the road forum, bit advanced for most of this lot!

At this risk of gross simplification - the heart is a muscle, if it grows then it doesn't need to work as hard to circulate blood and your HR (resting particularly) drops. Zone 3 is more commonly known for aerobic training - ride around at that pace (70-80% Max HR) and see how you get on. Small deviations from the zone are fine, sod walking up hills to keep in the zone.
  • emann
    emann Posts: 3
    many thanks for your interest and reply...will have a look at the other forum..
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Use the low HR technique and can confirm it works (see the book Heart Rate Monitor Training for Compleat Idiots - yes, it is spelled like that)

My resting HR is often as low as 48bpm. Long (1-2hours at least) slow rides are the way to achieve this. They have the added benefit of not using much glycogen and encourage fat-burning adaptations. It will make you faster.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My resting HR is often as low as 48bpm. Long (1-2hours at least) slow rides are the way to achieve this.

But that's not in itself an inherent advantage. Long slow rides will give you a base fitness, but they won't, alone, make you fast, if that's the end goal.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    njee20 wrote:
    My resting HR is often as low as 48bpm. Long (1-2hours at least) slow rides are the way to achieve this.

But that's not in itself an inherent advantage. Long slow rides will give you a base fitness, but they won't, alone, make you fast, if that's the end goal.

Correct-ish. They do allow your body to adapt to burn more fat to support glycogen burn and that in itself allows you to go faster for longer. To really add speed though, you need to do the short fast stuff to help build your aerobic capacity. The good thing about the slow stuff, when alternated with the fast stuff, is that it allows you to train more without become glycogen depleted.

I've used this approach a couple of years now and what I notice is my speed has increased, my HR has come down (whilst both riding and rest - in fact it gets harder to really get my HR near to max), and I can sustain efforts much longer (put simply my fitness and endurance have both increased).

I used to find it really hard to go slow - it doesn't feel like you're "training" - but now I've seen the results I'm a complete convert. Not saying this will work for everyone but I do at least like the fact that it's entirely logical.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bobj
    bobj Posts: 2
    For losing weight moderate intensity (at 60-70% of MHR) workouts are best.

Light intensity 50-60% of MHR
    This is the lowest intensity in which you can easily perform training and still improve physical condition. With this intensity your body uses body fat as a source of energy for your muscles. This zone is good for beginners or for those who start exercising after a long absence. This heart rate zone is ideal for people who want to lose weight. Train in this zone 3 – 5 times per week. By exercising in this zone you gain (3 is most, 2 is less, 1 is least):
    weight loss – 3
    endurance – 2
    strength – 1

Moderate intensity 60-70% of MHR
    This area is the most appropriate for weight loss programs and to maintain muscle tone as more than two thirds of energy comes from fat. Training in this zone helps improve the functions of cardiovascular system and it strengthens the heart. This zone is also suitable for regenerating run. Train in this zone 3 – 5 times per week. By exercising in this zone you gain (3 is most, 2 is less, 1 is least):
    weight loss – 3
    endurance – 3
    strength – 1

Intense 70-80% of MHR
    If your goal is to have a perfectly healthy heart and if you want your body to look like an athlete’s, then this zone is suitable for you. Exercising in this zone improves blood circulation and breathing function and is also very good for fat burning, strengthening of muscles and to improve self-esteem. Expect a general increase in physical abilities if training in this zone. Train in this zone 3 – 4 times per week max. By exercising in this zone you gain (3 is most, 2 is less, 1 is least):
    weight loss – 2
    endurance – 3
    strength – 2

Very intense 80-90% of MHR
    Very intense zone. Only suitable for individuals who are in good physical shape as well as have a healthy heart. Individuals exercising in this zone develop endurance and speed. Training at this intensity is advised if you are perparing yourself for a race. Train in this zone in shorter time intervals, max 2 – 3 times per week. By exercising in this zone you gain (3 is most, 2 is less, 1 is least):
    weight loss – 1
    endurance – 2
    strength – 3

All out intensity 90-100% of MHR
    This intensity level may be dangerous! It is only suitable for very well-prepared athletes. Exercising in this zone will help you develop strength and push your limits higher. Exercising in this zone may lead to injuries. Exercise in this zone 1 – 2 times per week max, followed by a regenerating run. By exercising in this zone you gain (3 is most, 2 is less, 1 is least):
    weight loss – 1
    endurance – 1
    strength – 3

(found on http://healthiack.com/heart-rate-zone-calculator)