Wiggle Isle of Wight roads report

Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
Did the route today (the wrong way round admittedly). A few comments for those doing it. Don't ask me how I know.

There is a fair amount of new Tarmac. Island Roads have been very busy. Some of the tiny country lanes have been redone. The downside of this is that it tempts you to go quickly which is fine apart from the numerous blind bends. Cars coming the other way can be entertaining. You have been warned! :shock:

On several of the narrow lanes between Cowes and Niton there is a little gravel that has naturally been deposited in the middle of the road. Quite hard to spot in bright sunlight. Can be scary if you overcook your line.

With a SW wind forecast it will be worth saving some energy for the run down the military road into the wind. The last two hills will be straight into it.

Just after Freshwater Bay, a few miles from the finish there is a new cafe called The Piano. On the right just past the thatched church. Very cyclist friendly and good coffee etc. No connection, just wanted to point it out as it's new this season.

Comments

• cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Thanks for the info Dippydog2, will keep an eye out for the gravel :)
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Cheers for the info but think being dazzled by the sun might be optimistic. Currently holed up in a Southampton hotel and it's p1ssing down outside.

Cafe sounds good.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    edited July 2014
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Cheers for the info but think being dazzled by the sun might be optimistic. Currently holed up in a Southampton hotel and it's p1ssing down outside.

Cafe sounds good.

You'll be fine. All the rain gone by the morning. Sunday will be clear. Hopefully the roads will be dry by then.

It's my fault actually. Family barbecue this evening. 1930 arrival, so it rained at 1925.

I will be there to cheer you all on. Not riding though, I did my bit today. May have the TDF going on the iPad though.

http://www.thepianocafe.co.uk/menu-1/
  • fat_cat
    Hope so, as I'm riding tomorrow!
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Had a great day out yesterday riding this sportive. Some stunning country lanes and scenery with beautifully smooth tarmac to ride on for much of the route. Apart from a small amount of drizzle leaving the start it was a lovely day, bit of sunshine with some cloud cover, wind could have been turned down a few notches but it wasn't too bad.

Its been many years since I was last on the Isle and I didn't realise just how hilly it is. The one part of the course that got me was the long drag along Military Road towards Freshwater then climbing the cliff.

I didn't have enough in the tank to make it to see the Needles and had to make a decision, see the Needles of go for Gold... I took the Gold option. Really pleased with my efforts and with a time of 5.26 for the epic route getting a gold made my day.

Thanks for all your helpful info DippyDog2 ;)
  • fat_cat
    ^^+1