Wobble in front - tightening?

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited July 2014 in The workshop
There's a bit of give in the front fork on my bike - if I lock the front break and push forwards, I can push the frame forward slightly (bike doesn't have front suspension). Does this mean I need to tighten/adjust the bolts below the handlebars? And what tool do I need to do this - will an adjustable spanner do?

Thanks!

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'd guess your headset was a little loose, but you don't say what type you've got (but it's probably threaded given your mention of a spanner). Start here and tell us what you've got.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notnot
    Thanks, and sorry about the slow reply. Looks like I've got a conventional threaded one, though mine has two steel circles between the top and bottom bolts on the handlebars.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What bolts on the handlebars, or do you mean on either the steerer (the part of the tube through the frame) or the Quill stem (that goes into it and you bolt the bars to)?

there are two largish nuts round the steerer directly above the top bearing.
    Simple process anyway, loosen the top nut a small amount, tighten the lower nut until play is removed but the bearings don't go tight (as you are trying to crush them!) then hold the lower nut while tightening the upper locknut back down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • notnot
    Thanks - the nuts on mine look quite like the ones on the bike pictured here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bike+ ... 1198%3B822

So I can get an adjustable spanner and then use it to loosen the top nut then tighten up the lower one?
  • notnot
    Right - got this tightened up a bit. How tight do I want it? I've got it so I don't notice any wobble when I ride or trying to move the fork when I'm off the bike. When I'm on the bike and use my weight to push forward while the front brake's on I can get a tiny bit of give. Is this about right, or tighten further?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If (laying a finger across the joint) you can feel play, go a bit tighter, just enough to remove play.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.