£1k C2W Cross bike help please

3leggeddog
3leggeddog Posts: 150
edited July 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi all

I have been away from riding for a few years and I am now back in the saddle. I am probably asking a question that has been asked many times before.

I am after a Cross bike through the C2W scheme, my company has capped the scheme at £1K.

The bike will be used as a commuter, winter trainer, do it all machine. I may occasionally "race", I fancy a go at the 3 peaks sometime. I don't mind racey geometry. It must take proper guards, group riding using blades is so impolite. Disc brakes preferred but not essential.

When I was last on top of cycling crack the boardman was the got to bike for this sort of thing, is it still?

I live in the lakes so ride lots of steep hills, I am guessing a compact is more suited to my requirements than a close range cross double.

So fire away, help me out and/or confuse me in equal measures

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    For a grand a few to start are:
    Giant TCX 2
    Cube Cross race disc
    Ridley X Bow
    Specialized tricross (Less racy, more commutey)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Merida Cyclo Cross 4 if they have your size in stock, 105 & Hayes
    Forme Culver CX Sport though this is £1080 - £1100, 105 & BB5
    Arkose 3, 105 & BB7, Evans so might have to forget this like I had to.
    Whyte Dorset, 105 & Promax discs.

The last two were on my short list though the Forme is now on it's way after being let down by Merida.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Planet X xls or On-one dirty disco.
    Cannondale caadx
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Paul 8v
    oldbazza wrote:
    Planet X xls or On-one dirty disco.
    Cannondale caadx
    Don't Planet X charge a 10% "Admin" fee on their cycle to work bikes? Makes it come out over a grand (Unless I've read this wrong)
  • 3leggeddog wrote:
    Hi all

I have been away from riding for a few years and I am now back in the saddle. I am probably asking a question that has been asked many times before.

Thanks in advance

Going to sound grumpy but please use the search facility, I've seen three threads on exactly the same question this week!
    :!:
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    I believe the PX's dont have eyelets for guards.

I am currently considering

Genesis CDF
    Genesis vapour
    Kona Jake
    Cannondale CAADX

mainly because I can cop a feel locally

oh and the boardman but a bit of digging reveals a bad press for the latest model

Any pros and cons of these?

I know I could search but wouldn't that lead to less forum traffic and eventually the whole thing becoming a data base?
  • Paul 8v
    3leggeddog wrote:
    I believe the PX's dont have eyelets for guards.

I am currently considering

Genesis CDF
    Genesis vapour
    Kona Jake
    Cannondale CAADX

mainly because I can cop a feel locally

oh and the boardman but a bit of digging reveals a bad press for the latest model

Any pros and cons of these?

I know I could search but wouldn't that lead to less forum traffic and eventually the whole thing becoming a data base?

The thing that put me off the Jake was the Alu fork but apart from that it looks like a good bike.

The Vapour is more racy than the CDF, don't know about the Cannondale as I've not really seen one properly but I believe there are a few on here with them and they seem to be quite happy with them
  • koontz
    koontz Posts: 119
    How about Boardman CX team. I have this bike light frame all carbon fork Inc steerer and SRAM group set. Yes the downside is halfords bit you can get this for less than than £800.00 with discounts, and use the extra for accessories.
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Felt FX75.
    Such a great bike.
    Listed mine for sale due to new Focus road bike but withdrew my advert as I know I would miss it so much.
    Buy road wheels for it too and you have an all in one bike.
    It can really fly if you spec it right.
    Comfy too and Felts own brand parts are lightweight too.
    Mine is the 2013 model.