Everything half price at Evans ..!?

plymouthsteve
plymouthsteve Posts: 136
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
If you have Tesco clubcard points, and most of us have, they can be exchanged for Evans Cycles vouchers at a rate of £5 for a £10 voucher.
eg.. Get ready for winter with a 1200 lumen Exposure equinox for £110 anyone?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/exp ... t-ec052759

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/pro ... 041|Retail

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you want to change the title to reflect the truth?

All clubcard vouchers you can get double the face value, so in reality they are worth twice what they say on them anyway......so the headline is that you can use clubcard vouchers at Evans, not that everything is half price at all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't poor people shop at Tesco? Like HT riders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:
    Do you want to change the title to reflect the truth?

All clubcard vouchers you can get double the face value, so in reality they are worth twice what they say on them anyway......so the headline is that you can use clubcard vouchers at Evans, not that everything is half price at all!

Bit tetchy, the gist is right. Almost makes me think it's worth mixing with the hoi polloi in Tesco.
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    the gist is right. .
    Not really or in fact at all, you can get £10 off almost everywhere for £5 (face value) of Tesco vouchers, so it's no saving versus using the vouchers anywhere else that accepts them and it's worse value than where you can pay direct with the vouchers (such as RAC membership or magazine subscriptions) which tend to be at 3 times the face value of the vouchers (near enough).

And it will be a fair few years of spending at Tesco before you can get a decent bike using the vouchers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just bought a VIRB Elite and some other stuff at Evans using £52.50 of Tesco vouchers (so £105 off) and through my Spreeflex Mastercard got another 11% off the balance :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • njee20
    Not really or in fact at all, you can get £10 off almost everywhere for £5 (face value) of Tesco vouchers, so it's no saving versus using the vouchers anywhere else that accepts them

But it wasn't a comparison - it was a statement. If a £5 voucher is worth £10 then that's essentially akin to stuff being half priced. It's not exactly misleading. He didn't say "better value than anywhere else and no purchase necessary". It's all well and good that RAC membership or magazine subs are better value, but neither do very good multi tools.

What the OP has said is akin to saying that you can get 10% off anything at Chain Reaction, meaning he has a £5 off £50 voucher. The fact you could get half price dinner at Pizza Express is entirely irrelevant, despite the fact that's a better saving.
  • The Rookie
    njee20 wrote:
    If a £5 voucher is worth £10 then that's essentially akin to stuff being half priced. .
    Err, no, the number on the front of the voucher is not its value until you decide how to use it, it could be called 5 points as it has no transferable value until you decide how to use it, just Tesco con you by calling it £5 and then telling you you can exchange it for £10 of goods..... if they called it £10 (just as valid) you wouldn't say it was getting it for half price!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Actually, the title of the thread should read "Everything free at Evans", since the Tesco vouchers are actually "free" money :-) When converted to Evans vouchers I guess they are doubly free.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I spotted this a few weeks back and got quite excited... until I found out how much you'd have to spend at Tescos to get anything substantial at Evans.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Erm, I didn't expect starting what I thought many would find to be a generally helpful post to be ripped to shreds over the correcctness or otherwise of the title.
    I don't work for Evans or Tescos, but did think that many on this forum might see this as a useful and relevant offer.
    I chose the title to get the post read, but didn't expect the grammar police to be on patrol so late at night.
    Hope some of you find the info useful. I know I would have if I hadn't already been aware of this offer.
    And yes, I shop at Tesco's, ride a hardtail and don't have a butler.
  • The Rookie
    I would have used "You can use your Tesco vouchers at Evans"...which is the truth!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    , I shop at Tesco's, ride a hardtail and don't have a butler.

what!?! you don't have a butler??!?!?! scandalous I say.

I would use my vouchers at evans if the gf didn't take them back to Tesco to spend on the shopping :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    welshkev wrote:
    , I shop at Tesco's, ride a hardtail and don't have a butler.

what!?! you don't have a butler??!?!?! scandalous I say.

I would use my vouchers at evans if the gf didn't take them back to Tesco to spend on the shopping :lol:
    Grow some and explain priorities to her.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Using them for shopping is just daft - it has the lowest return, you only get 1x face value, for exchange vouchers such as Evans it is 2x, for direct purchase it is circa 3x, she's throwing money away.
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    Using them for shopping is just daft - it has the lowest return, you only get 1x face value, for exchange vouchers such as Evans it is 2x, for direct purchase it is circa 3x, she's throwing money away.

Not necessarily. If she offsets them against things she'd buy anyway then you're right, but if she wouldn't buy a bike, or a magazine subscription, then £5 off her Tesco shop is more useful than £10 at Evans.
  • The Rookie
    True, but if Kev is buying stuff from Evans anyway he may as well buy them off her for cash!

RAC membership is an absolute steal on Tesco vouchers!