Miller joins cast of discarded Brits

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    there you go. Tv pundit. Gets paid for not riding his bike, and will probably do a very good job. expect a few digs about his employer in there....!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mike6 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    When has Wiggins been "screeching about unfairness"? He has been amazingly diplomatic about it all.

Exactly, but it is Wiggins he is talking about, dont expact a ballanced reasonable, or even true, comment. :D

Get real, lads. He's an amazing rider. No question. But he's been in a sulk since becoming a national icon in 2012.

He gave many interviews musing on his attempt at the Giro/Tour double in 2013. He dropped the 2014 non-selction bombshell on BBC. Neither of these were diplomatic. They were intended to heap pressure on team management, and directly attack a teammate.

Wiggins has benefited more than any single rider from the BC/Sky system. Being incredibly ungrateful in public is a terrible stain on his legacy. Blame Fuller.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    How's it going to work with him being a part team owner ?

or has he sold that stake and I am behind the times.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Macaloon wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    When has Wiggins been "screeching about unfairness"? He has been amazingly diplomatic about it all.

Exactly, but it is Wiggins he is talking about, dont expact a ballanced reasonable, or even true, comment. :D

Get real, lads. He's an amazing rider. No question. But he's been in a sulk since becoming a national icon in 2012.

He gave many interviews musing on his attempt at the Giro/Tour double in 2013. He dropped the 2014 non-selction bombshell on BBC. Neither of these were diplomatic. They were intended to heap pressure on team management, and directly attack a teammate.

Wiggins has benefited more than any single rider from the BC/Sky system. Being incredibly ungrateful in public is a terrible stain on his legacy. Blame Fuller.

Show me where he has been incredibly ungrateful in public this year please.

Wiggins last Thursday on his Tour non-selection: "It is what is. The team they are sending is an incredible team to defend the title and a defending champion who still has to be the favourite to win it. It has the likes of Geraint who could win on Sunday, and take the British road title into the Tour so the team that is going, you couldn’t fault it really. With my crash in Switzerland, I am probably lacking preparation and it came down that there are probably eight better guys who could go in front of me."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    @millarmind · 5h
    Bike's off the market. Good luck to the riders in my team at the Tour, especially @alex_howes who will be riding his first. Have fun.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    STS221801CYCLINGMA_1076916k.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Wiggins last Thursday on his Tour non-selection: "It is what is. The team they are sending is an incredible team to defend the title and a defending champion who still has to be the favourite to win it. It has the likes of Geraint who could win on Sunday, and take the British road title into the Tour so the team that is going, you couldn’t fault it really. With my crash in Switzerland, I am probably lacking preparation and it came down that there are probably eight better guys who could go in front of me."

It's my opinion that Wiggins was never in shape to ride as a viable Plan B, and he was never, as a former champ, going to ride the flats then peel-off when the real stars of the show go uphill. So these Tour non-selection crocodile tears are as false as his claims to be in shape to win Giro/Tour double were last year.

He also knows that Froome can't stand him and there's no way he would want him on the team. He had to decide whether to work with that, or undermine it. He chose the latter, probably under Fuller pressure to keep his image prominent.

I can't be bothered looking for specific quotes, but I think that's a reasonable summary of events.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

It's my opinion that Wiggins was never in shape to ride as a viable Plan B, and he was never, as a former champ, going to ride the flats then peel-off when the real stars of the show go uphill. So these Tour non-selection crocodile tears are as false as his claims to be in shape to win Giro/Tour double were last year.

He also knows that Froome can't stand him and there's no way he would want him on the team. He had to decide whether to work with that, or undermine it. He chose the latter, probably under Fuller pressure to keep his image prominent.

I can't be bothered looking for specific quotes, but I think that's a reasonable summary of events.

So you can't provide any evidence to support your opinion then? Fine.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    r0bh wrote:
    It's the internet. What did you expect?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I know this is the internet but I think we re in danger of reading too much in to this.

I suspect that Dave had an agreement with JV about his race program this year - and that it was very much a wish list of his according to that Cycling Podcast interview they did in the winter - and thought that he was down to ride the tour. JV however viewed it slightly differently and thought that Dave would ride the tour IF he was fit enough

He isnt so he won't. Simple as for JV but obviously a massive shock for Millar. I sympathise with both really
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Joelsim wrote:
    Simon Yates is riding for Orica. Not Adam though as he has already raced a lot this year. Expect to see Adam at the Vuelta.

Yes, that has really cheered me up. He can expect a good reception at the top of Woodhead from at least one family of fellow Clarionistas. Boots!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ddraver wrote:
    I know this is the internet but I think we re in danger of reading too much in to this.

I suspect that Dave had an agreement with JV about his race program this year - and that it was very much a wish list of his according to that Cycling Podcast interview they did in the winter - and thought that he was down to ride the tour. JV however viewed it slightly differently and thought that Dave would ride the tour IF he was fit enough

He isnt so he won't. Simple as for JV but obviously a massive shock for Millar. I sympathise with both really
    But if it was some sort of simple misunderstanding why were the team refusing to answer his phone calls the day/night before? (according to his Twitter feed). He also seems to have thought he was in the team on June 25th, just before the nationals. I can understand why they might not have wanted him to ride but it doesn't sound like they handled it particularly well on their end if he was thinking that it was all more or less sorted out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Cycling Team in Poor Communication Shock!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Vaughters was probably out fishing again...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Maybe I'm making up stuff, but I seem to recall a Millar attack in Paris which had all the hallmarks of a lap of honour. I thought that was him done.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Maybe I'm making up stuff, but I seem to recall a Millar attack in Paris which had all the hallmarks of a lap of honour. I thought that was him done.

Apparently he was banking that one just incase but hoping to come back for 1 more time...
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

he does that most years. By most i mean at least once. I think. he definitely did it last year didn't he.
  • Reckon Miller will do a great job on itv. I would much rather listen to him than Carlton "and why not" kirby on eurosport, unless David Harmon comes back. I'll ask him on Friday in Harrogate :D
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

Its Ben Volpelier.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    curium wrote:

He's a great pundit, superb insights
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459

Is he wearing this so he can sing 'Shaddap You Face' to JV?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    joe-dolce_1687214c.jpg

Super Record that one, top effort:)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:

That is far too sensible Dave, where is your sense of moral outrage?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    curium wrote:

He's a great pundit, superb insights

My immediate thought when he was dropped was that I'd mostly miss some of Millar's perceptive and informative comments after stages had finished. Having him contractually obliged to provide them is something that's making me happy about this tour.
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Coughlin's Law
    "Everything ends badly, or else it wouldn't end"
    Chris Hoy being the exception to prove the rule.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Coughlin's Law

Cocktail?
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:

Enough with the heretic hunt. I made a reasonable case that Wiggins was never in with a chance of a Tour slot. You don't agree. That's fine.

However I happily concede it was a mistake to lump him in with Millar's public complaints. Wiggo's campaign was more sustained and professionally orchestrated :wink:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    VO2min wrote:
    Coughlin's Law

Didn't he mark the end of his career with a terrible advert for bran flakes?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    VO2min wrote:
    Coughlin's Law

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S9CN5g4 ... lpage#t=18

:wink:

(Was he not dropped by Brailsford too?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_n83xe7x79Q1qfh99qo1_1280.jpg

ps. He is called Millar not Miller
    Contador is the Greatest