Miller joins cast of discarded Brits

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    TMR wrote:
    Indeed. How dare he show his frustration or disappointment. He should bury the frailties of the human condition to keep you all happy.

No. He should act like the lifetime Wonkabar recipient he is, and respect his team, sponsors and riders. Millar and Wiggins are behaving exactly like the oppressed 1% - screeching about unfairness from their privileged perches.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Macaloon wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Indeed. How dare he show his frustration or disappointment. He should bury the frailties of the human condition to keep you all happy.

No. He should act like the lifetime Wonkabar recipient he is, and respect his team, sponsors and riders. Millar and Wiggins are behaving exactly like the oppressed 1% - screeching about unfairness from their privileged perches.

Exactly. No one has a right to a TDF place.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    philbar72 wrote:
    yep. I'd be upset as well, but to offer to sell your race bike and slate the team is a bit much. Childish, as I said before.

With respect, I think you are judging too harshly. Put yourself in his shoes. Lots of riders go to the Tour (and other GTs) ill, hoping to improve as it goes on.

This was his last TdF at the end of a long career.

I'd be f*cking furious if I were him.
  • TMR
    Macaloon wrote:
    TMR wrote:

I disagree with this. Siding with the Team management is a weak (easy) position to take.
  • TMR
    philbar72 wrote:

You're taking the piss though aren't you? JV took Donkey Farrar to the Tour for years and what did he achieve?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    If he was incapable of riding the TT to his full potential and then pulled out of the RR due to the same health issue then he must have realised that his place on the tour roster was at severe risk with good reason however he has probably planned his final season around riding it and as someone who is not just the most experienced and long-standing member of the team he would have felt a little bit protected from the normal hard choices that the team management have to make on occasions. I for one understand his frustrations and really would have loved to have seen him on home soil - even more so as a fellow Scot.
    Had the warning about his season's performance so far come late in the day I wonder hence his riding the TT and starting the RR despite his condition ?

He is riding the Commie Games so chance to see him there hopefully.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Macaloon wrote:
    TMR wrote:

When has Wiggins been "screeching about unfairness"? He has been amazingly diplomatic about it all.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Why is Rohan Dennis not in the Garmin team? Injured? Doing the Vuelta?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    yep. I'd be upset as well, but to offer to sell your race bike and slate the team is a bit much. Childish, as I said before.

With respect, I think you are judging too harshly. Put yourself in his shoes. Lots of riders go to the Tour (and other GTs) ill, hoping to improve as it goes on.

I don't think anyone is questioning his right to be extremely upset and/or furious, I think they're questioning the wisdom of his outpourings on Twitter yesterday. I am one of those who thinks it was an unedifying sight and he would have done much, much better to have put his phone at the bottom of a deep well yesterday afternoon.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    He's not shown much this year, it seems to be more of a drawn out retirement/celebration of his career and coming out with statements like you've realised you prefer being a dad than a pro cyclist can't help. He was given the weekend to prove his form and did naff all so no cause for complaint really.

Hear, hear. Big self-promoter. The whole year has been about his books and his films. He's done several pay-for-a-place evenings around the UK. Shameless ego feeding.

Like in most businesses, eventually, the correct decisions get made. This and leaving Farrar at home.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • TMR
    Coriander wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I don't think anyone is questioning his right to be extremely upset and/or furious, I think they're questioning the wisdom of his outpourings on Twitter yesterday. I am one of those who thinks it was an unedifying sight and he would have done much, much better to have put his phone at the bottom of a deep well yesterday afternoon.

I appreciate all of that, however, given that no-one at Garmin was prepared to take his calls, precisely where was his disappointment supposed to go?
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Most of the above is true, the twitter posts will look like a bad idea in the cold light of day and he doesn't have a right to a place. What he would have brought is a lot of PR and publicity via a film to a team who will unlikely win a stage at the tour and IMO won't get a top 3 or 4 GC spot. What odds if the bottles come back 30 seconds quicker? You could have been guaranteed that Millar would have been up the road at least twice in the second or third week, stupid shoes and all.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Macaloon wrote:
    TMR wrote:

Wiggins has done nothing of the sort.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited July 2014
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I agree. It sounds like he's almost more annoyed with Vaughters/Wegelius than he is about not riding the Tour. He tweeted this back on the 25th: "Last time leaving home to race Nationals/TdF. More hectic than ever. Note to thieving bastards, our house is occupied/watched ALL the time.", quickly followed by "Sh*t. Don't think I was supposed to say I was doing the TdF. Sorry @wegelius. I'm an idiot.", so as recently as that he thought he was going and they apparently pulled the rug from under him in the space of a few days. You'd think if they really wanted him there they'd have given him the benefit of the doubt, his current "illness" looks like it gave them an excuse to say "Oh we're so sorry but..."
  • adr82
    TMR wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I appreciate all of that, however, given that no-one at Garmin was prepared to take his calls, precisely where was his disappointment supposed to go?
    Wow, I agree with TMR for the second time in a row! :P But yeah, I thought this is why people like riders like Wiggins and Millar, because they're "interesting" personalities and do things that more "boring" people wouldn't. This is a good example. You can understand where he's coming from, and I don't think it's going to make things much worse for him as things stand.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Coughlin's Law
    "Everything ends badly, or else it wouldn't end"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

Wow, I agree with TMR for the second time in a row! :P But yeah, I thought this is why people like riders like Wiggins and Millar, because they're "interesting" personalities and do things that more "boring" people wouldn't. This is a good example. You can understand where he's coming from, and I don't think it's going to make things much worse for him as things stand.

My further twopennies' worth and then I'll shut up. I can understand his upset, god, I'd have been shaking with upset and anger. But, I really struggle to see how the DM film would have been a huge PR thing for Garmin, I suspect it'll be shown in very few cinemas and the vast majority of the audience will be cycling fans who are already more than a little aware of Garmin and the Garmin Sharp team. The film, I think, was simply a DM vanity project, which doesn't mean it won't be interesting, but won't act as a free Garmin PR puff.

As for yesterday's tweets, if I were a prospective DM employer I would sit back and have a long hard re-think after that outpouring when he didn't like what his current employer had done.

We, the fans and the historians, are the ones that endow the sport with romance. Those at the pointy end in the moment will make decisions for cold, hard reasons.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    andyrr wrote:
    If he was incapable of riding the TT to his full potential and then pulled out of the RR due to the same health issue then he must have realised that his place on the tour roster was at severe risk with good reason however he has probably planned his final season around riding it and as someone who is not just the most experienced and long-standing member of the team he would have felt a little bit protected from the normal hard choices that the team management have to make on occasions. I for one understand his frustrations and really would have loved to have seen him on home soil - even more so as a fellow Scot.
    Had the warning about his season's performance so far come late in the day I wonder hence his riding the TT and starting the RR despite his condition ?

He is riding the Commie Games so chance to see him there hopefully.

He rode the road race and only dropped out about half way through the finishing circuits when in the main bunch a few minutes behind the break. I assume he ultimately retired from the race knowing a) it was pointless carrying on and b) the group he was in was going to get lapped and pulled out (which it ultimately did).

I'm not a big fan of Holy Dave and find him a bit smug but I can understand his reaction if he was told he was riding and that on being dropped the management were too gutless to even take his calls.
  • adr82
    Coriander wrote:
    My further twopennies' worth and then I'll shut up. I can understand his upset, god, I'd have been shaking with upset and anger. But, I really struggle to see how the DM film would have been a huge PR thing for Garmin, I suspect it'll be shown in very few cinemas and the vast majority of the audience will be cycling fans who are already more than a little aware of Garmin and the Garmin Sharp team. The film, I think, was simply a DM vanity project, which doesn't mean it won't be interesting, but won't act as a free Garmin PR puff.

As for yesterday's tweets, if I were a prospective DM employer I would sit back and have a long hard re-think after that outpouring when he didn't like what his current employer had done.

We, the fans and the historians, are the ones that endow the sport with romance. Those at the pointy end in the moment will make decisions for cold, hard reasons.
    I wasn't even thinking about the role of the film in all of it to be honest. Like you say I doubt it would have meant anything to the people picking the Garmin Tour team (unless they counted it against him because they didn't want someone with a camera poking around for 3 weeks...).

I suppose the tweets could count against him somehow, but then again he's retiring after this season, so it's not like he has to worry about finding another pro team. He'll probably end up commentating or something and I'd bet his experience and ability would outweigh his occasional rashness (he did a good job commentating on the WCs in 2012 IIRC).
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    You could have been guaranteed that Millar would have been up the road at least twice in the second or third week, stupid shoes and all.

Jens on Twitter last night lamenting Millars non-selection and the fact he will now be the only old boy (relative term) in the breaks
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Simon Yates is riding for Orica. Not Adam though as he has already raced a lot this year. Expect to see Adam at the Vuelta.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Coriander wrote:

Don't shut up, it's interesting. Are we not as cycling fans, quite serious ones I would wager, not overestimating the impact of certain rider's/certain races PR? We notice them because we're already looking. Do others? It's impossible for us to know this because we can only see things from our point of view.

As to fans being the ones who endow things with romance, absolutely. The fans are the ones who dream, the media stoke the flames of outrage and controversy whichever way the wind is blowing and the teams are the ones that make the decisions.

Anyone else wonder whether or not Garmin's decision not to take a sick Millar is not so much that he is sick but that they don't want to have to deal with any repercussions of him needing a TUE? Personally looking at the recent furore over Froome's TUE I wouldn't want the hassle. Is this a case of the tail wagging the dog?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

You're taking the wee-wee though aren't you? JV took Donkey Farrar to the Tour for years and what did he achieve?

hah, not taking the mick at all. I totally get your point with Farrar. he must perform exceptionally in training, then falls apart anytime he's near a circuit.

Millars getting older and has had a minor health problem that could or couldn't go away or get worse. Garmin have a team of very good quality riders that are chomping at the bit. Millar is still one of these riders but like all good things it had to come to an end. He will be missed by some. I'm not sure that I am one of them.
  • oh well, you won't be watching @millarmind on the Tour this year, but you'll be hearing him on ITV. every cloud etc..
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    TMR wrote:

When has Wiggins been "screeching about unfairness"? He has been amazingly diplomatic about it all.

Exactly, but it is Wiggins he is talking about, dont expact a ballanced reasonable, or even true, comment. :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Anyone else wonder whether or not Garmin's decision not to take a sick Millar is not so much that he is sick but that they don't want to have to deal with any repercussions of him needing a TUE? Personally looking at the recent furore over Froome's TUE I wouldn't want the hassle. Is this a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Reading between the lines there has obviously been some falling out there before this happened. If everything in the garden was rosy surely Vaughters would have called him and told him the news direct - or at least would have answered his calls - and if for some reason Vaughters didn't return the calls Millar wouldn't have been straight on twitter about it.

Why would they fall out - maybe they don't think Millar has been taking his job seriously this year - maybe they think there have been too many distractions to do with films, special shoes, retirement, consultant on the Lance Armstrong fim, commentary, admissions he can't hurt himself in training any more. I'm speculating but it seems that there isn't the good will towards Millar that might have led them to giving him the benefit of the doubt on any short term illness he may or may not have.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    He was treating this year as a swansong and from the team's perspective I get why they didn't select him. Reflecting on it, his story about how he nearly failed to finish PR earlier this year just showed how his mind wasn't on the racing...
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Coriander wrote:

Don't shut up, it's interesting. Are we not as cycling fans, quite serious ones I would wager, not overestimating the impact of certain rider's/certain races PR? We notice them because we're already looking. Do others? It's impossible for us to know this because we can only see things from our point of view.

As to fans being the ones who endow things with romance, absolutely. The fans are the ones who dream, the media stoke the flames of outrage and controversy whichever way the wind is blowing and the teams are the ones that make the decisions.

With their history of hiring reformed dopers, I can't see that they would shy away from applying for a TUE assuming everything was above board.

I expect they're just not confident he'll be up to it, and possibly any good will that might have existed to see him picked regardless has gone for whatever reason.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    oh well, you won't be watching @millarmind on the Tour this year, but you'll be hearing him on ITV. every cloud etc..
    Vaughters will probably send him to the Tour of Austria now just to spite him.
    Twitter: @RichN95