TDF - London Viewing

cgrenn
cgrenn Posts: 206
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Hi All,

Booked the day off work on Monday to watch the Tour and was obviously hoping to get a spot on The Mall. Any tips anybody can sagest? I'm obviously going to get there early, but how early?

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Middayish I would say
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I'm in two minds about going to the Mall, I was hoping there might be somewhere better. A few seconds of a sprint finish not that satisfying, but I suppose they will have a big screen to watch the rest of the stage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just got Monday off and may have access all areas badge! Wooop
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Got my son's sportsday at 1.45pm - honestly you couldn't make it up!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    BigMat wrote:

I trust he's in the road cycling event :lol::wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    drlodge wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I trust he's in the road cycling event :lol::wink:

Like his Dad, that's about all he's good for. Had him training in Crystal Palace yesterday, he won a couple of uphill sprints so the form is coming.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Booked my 5th day of holiday off to go an see this. Looking at the route though it looks a bit of a dud to spectate at. They will come through at 30mph+ with hardly any corners so pretty pointless. There are too many people in London as it is even without the additional people that will come that day so watching at the end is a bit of a no no. Especially as given it is the Tour they complete block all access to the riders. Should have booked the trip to the Dauphine I was planning...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Guess I won't see you in the fanzone in Green Park then Frenchie! :P
  • redshoes
    redshoes Posts: 11
    I will head to Lea Bridge road,,,,,should get some space there and could zoom across on my bike and watch them again further down the course if I can be bothered. I much prefer going to France. No offence, but it just does not feel the same. More like a novelty record.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Booked my 5th day of holiday off to go an see this. Looking at the route though it looks a bit of a dud to spectate at. They will come through at 30mph+ with hardly any corners so pretty pointless. There are too many people in London as it is even without the additional people that will come that day so watching at the end is a bit of a no no. Especially as given it is the Tour they complete block all access to the riders. Should have booked the trip to the Dauphine I was planning...

Where did you go on days 1-4 off?
  • frenchfighter
    Geneva (which wasn't really a break) and Strasbourg. Have to work all bank hols also. Fun times. How many days you managed to take?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Geneva (which wasn't really a break) and Strasbourg. Have to work all bank hols also. Fun times. How many days you managed to take?

So far haven't taken a day off. Have the whole of next week off.

Geneva's a well moneyed shithole. There for work every fortnight.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    As luck would have it, I work in Golden Square, so a wander down on a long lunch for me.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    Where should 3 x adults, 2 x 4 year olds & 2 x 11 month olds go?

I'm thinking The Mall will be a no-no, but I really really want to go there.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Unless you are on a mountain stage, the reality (in my view) is that you are always better off watching it at home. Or some decent cafe where it's being shown live.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    TMR wrote:
    Unless you are on a mountain stage, the reality (in my view) is that you are always better off watching it at home. Or some decent cafe where it's being shown live.

Kinda agree, but how often do you get the chance to watch it for real and more importantly take in the atmosphere. It'll be a sprint stage so 20 minutes of highlights will do the trick later that night.
  • TMR
    Alan A wrote:
    Kinda agree, but how often do you get the chance to watch it for real and more importantly take in the atmosphere. It'll be a sprint stage so 20 minutes of highlights will do the trick later that night.

Every year. I always drag the family to France to watch it :)

Is there no way you can go without the kids? Or at least without the babies? You're making life very difficult for yourself :)
  • TMR
    Where is everyone going to be watching this then? I have had a look at the route this morning and it's actually quite difficult. Some of the best spots from a scenery perspective will also be stupidly busy, so I want to avoid those. I note the route goes right past Canary Wharf, so that's an option.
  • TMR
    Also, is there a way to know (roughly) what time the Peleton will pass a specific point?
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah I was going for Canary Wharf....apart from the fact it goes straight past it on a raod they will be doing 40mph on rather than going through the Canary Wharf streets which would be really cool and a great place to watch.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm not going (find watching it "live" boring) but some friend are taking their kids and going to somewhere near Pontoon Dock - I think that area might be a good option as it'll probably be less busy.

When I went to see it head down to Kent in 07, I went down to Woolwich and I was the only bugger there watching, right up against the barrier.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    TMR wrote:
    Also, is there a way to know (roughly) what time the peloton will pass a specific point?

http://letour.yorkshire.com/media/10006 ... -12-13.pdf
  • frenchfighter
    I reckon I will go to the Silvertown roundabout but depends if the people I am going with want to be in the busy areas for the 'atmosphere'. I need a clear space so I can get my 'Contador is the greatest' banner on tv.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I reckon I will go to the Silvertown roundabout but depends if the people I am going with want to be in the busy areas for the 'atmosphere'. I need a clear space so I can get my 'Contador is the greatest' banner on tv.

:lol::lol::wink:

x
  • TMR
    Yeah I was going for Canary Wharf....apart from the fact it goes straight past it on a raod they will be doing 40mph on rather than going through the Canary Wharf streets which would be really cool and a great place to watch.

A missed opportunity TBH. They do the Tour Series here, so a few Crit style laps would have been awesome! :)
  • TMR
    I need a clear space so I can get my 'Contador is the greatest' banner on tv.

Make it huge Brother - make it huge! :)
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm not going (find watching it "live" boring) but some friend are taking their kids and going to somewhere near Pontoon Dock - I think that area might be a good option as it'll probably be less busy.

When I went to see it head down to Kent in 07, I went down to Woolwich and I was the only bugger there watching, right up against the barrier.

It is a complete waste going to a non-Mountain stage in my experience; you sit by the roadside for 2 hrs, only for the Peloton to whiz by in figures few.

Who knows when it'll ever return to these shores though? I am no Spring chicken; it might not happen again in my life time.
  • frenchfighter
    TMR wrote:
    I need a clear space so I can get my 'Contador is the greatest' banner on tv.

Make it huge Brother - make it huge! :)

Ha I will and I will be wearing this. Maybe ; )
    2012-contador-dx03-sz.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    TMR wrote:
    Also, is there a way to know (roughly) what time the peloton will pass a specific point?

click on "time schedule" under "a sporting view"

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/stage-3.html
  • TMR
    Thanks to you both for the links to the stage timeline forecast.