Le Tour Teams hit Leeds.

domhopson
domhopson Posts: 259
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Maybe a little early, but has anybody seen any of the teams hit Leeds or spotted the hotels they're staying in?

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Team hotels are in the roadbook. Good luck with the stalking :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    domhopson wrote:
    Maybe a little early, but has anybody seen any of the teams hit Leeds or spotted the hotels they're staying in?
    From the Tour roadbook:

2sb8zna.jpg

I see Sky and Cav get put in one of the best hotels in Yorkshire.

p183f5vim9fcji9a1h851spsn5f4.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    I thought it was down to the luck of the draw?
  • RichN95.
    RonB wrote:
    I thought it was down to the luck of the draw?
    Ha! The later ones maybe. But you don't want the British press pack turning up to the local Premier Inn, do you? The hotel probably chucked ASO a few quid too.
  • domhopson
    Thanks Rich. Look like Euro, Saxo, Trek and Netapp are on one of my running routes.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Do people actually go out of their way to go to the team hotels to stalk the riders? Surely not.
  • RonB
    There's a good pub crawl to be had for those staying at the Weetwood Hall down the Otley Road towards the Uni though :D
  • domhopson
    The Otley run RonB. Cracking pub crawl. All the Leeds Uni Students do it and some of us olders!!
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    mfin wrote:
    Do people actually go out of their way to go to the team hotels to stalk the riders? Surely not.

I think so.

I spoke to one guy at the Giro who had had a perfectly nice day hanging out at one hotel that 5 teams had been staying at.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I didn't realise the handbook gave their hotels. Hmm I will have to find out where Contador is staying in London.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RonB wrote:
    There's a good pub crawl to be had for those staying at the Weetwood Hall down the Otley Road towards the Uni though :D

Oh dear god. Memories.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I didn't realise the handbook gave their hotels. Hmm I will have to find out where Contador is staying in London.

Don't fancy a trip to Bradford then? :lol:
  • RichN95.
    Someone DMed me and asked me where I got the roadbook from. For everyone's benefit it was on Velorooms. http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=2384.0
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    May want to check the Wood Hall Hotel's bins for any suspect looking packages.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    goonz wrote:
    May want to check the Wood Hall Hotel's bins for any suspect looking packages.

Burger cartons?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The Peterborough Marriott looks like the place to be... both Contador and Froome will be wandering the corridors in their underpants.

xvhpb_phototour15.jpg
  • I think I just saw Jean Cristophe Peraud and Maxime Iglinskiy, having a couple of pints and a pie in the Dog and Duck in Shipley. Surprised they were drinking this early to be honest and it didnt look like it was their first - plenty of back slapping and raucous laughter
  • alanp23
    I've been up in Leeds today and they've got a little caravan in City Square selling all sorts of official TDF merchandise. Its staffed by French people and it's all priced in Euros. (I suspect they will take Sterling too)

Its all getting a little real...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'll be based in Harrogate town centre. So my current plan:

Stage 1

Set off early (7ish) and cycle down to meet the route, either before Otley or possibly follow A59 out to Skipton. Then just ride the route as far as Buttertubs. Find a decent spot, stop, watch the caravan and race go past. As soon as roads reopen, continue along the route to the fan hub at Leyburn. Stop, watch the finish on the big screen, then continue following the route back to Harrogate.

Stage 2

One for the family - head to Knaresborough to watch the caravan / peloton head through before noon. Enjoy the atmosphere. Considering heading to Meadowhall then seeing whether me and the boy can get to Jenkin Road in time for the finish.

What do you reckon, any obvious flaws in the plan? I can see Meadowhall / Jenkin Road being a bit too busy, although I may have had my fill by then anyway, so might end up skipping that bit. Be nice to catch them there if possible though.
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    Giant Shimano have tweeted that they are going out tomorrow from Weetwood Hall at 1.10pm and you can turn up and join them. Unfortunately I'm working but off on Friday so hoping to see some teams out and about.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Some teams already out on minor rides this afternoon/ evening. A few team cars around too Harrogate area. Most buses and support vehicles already in hotels. Expect to see a lot of strava records smashed in coming days.
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    I live 2 mins from Westwood hall and Garmin sharp were there Monday and giant shimano turned up yesterday. The Garmin mechanics yesterday were building the new cervelo r5's, gotta say there very nic. Big red top tube and all had rotor power cranks with di2....
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    @GiantShimano
    .@GiantShimano are Leeds-bound today for the #TDF! Send us a tweet or a photo if you see us out on the roads over the next few days!

With the #TDF just days away celebrate in style and join @GiantShimano @weetwoodhall on 2nd July 1.10pm for a 1.15pm start for a short ride.
  • RonB
    From http://www.leedsbeer.com

To celebrate Yorkshire’s Grand Départ of the Tour de France our friends at Magic Rock have created a new beer inspired by the biggest cycling event in the world – The Magic Spanner, a delightful extra pale original to quench the thirst. And if that wasn’t exciting enough we’ll be serving up the beer in a special pop up bar in the old Victorian Cells under Leeds Town Hall from 27 June – 6 July. So, whether you’re on foot or on your bike make sure you stop by the Town Hall for some lovely beer refreshment. Full details regarding opening times and special food events will be announced shortly.

... They need to get a move on. The rider's parade is setting out from the Millenium Square tomorrow evening!
  • RonB
    edited July 2014
    Some pics of Team Ulrika on a ride around Ripponden earlier today on Twitter.

Briwo3RCIAA6ryq.jpg:large

BriwpxbCMAAv2nc.jpg:large
  • alanp23
    Met OPQS, Garmin Sharp, Katusha and Orica Green Edge at the end of stage 2 in Sheffield.

Chatted to the mechanics and the DS's and now have a collection of used drinks bottles.
  • tonybanham
    tonybanham Posts: 64
    Had a meeting today in Horsforth so on the way home did a bit of stalking at Weetwood Hall & Thorpe Park.

At Weetwood, Giant Shimano had just arrived back after a ride- thanks for the water bottles!

Got to Thorpe Park and has luck would have it Astana arrived back- not may people about at Thorpe Park hotel. Great to see the bikes close up, nearly all on mechanical gears and most had 27-29 max gears on the rear, so not just me.

All a bit surreal!

IMAG0102_zps3f5a178f.jpg

IMAG0103_zps74f15e14.jpg

IMAG0130_zps85c107c2.jpg

IMAG0137_zpsdf3a793e.jpg
    Scarponi on the phone.

IMAG0140_zps51a35304.jpg
    Nibali's Bike
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good job on the photos chaps.

Nibs bike old school with the white saddle and bar tape for the leader. Those Corimas blow though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I think I just saw Jean Cristophe Peraud and Maxime Iglinskiy, having a couple of pints and a pie in the Dog and Duck in Shipley. Surprised they were drinking this early to be honest and it didnt look like it was their first - plenty of back slapping and raucous laughter

Shipley is a shit hole with not one decent pub. The excellently named Fanny's at Saltaire is your best bet
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    smithy21 wrote:

Don't fancy a trip to Bradford then? :lol:

I'm from Bradford and been to London. Both have limited nice parts, and both have parts that resemble a steaming turd.
    alanp23 wrote:
    Met OPQS, Garmin Sharp, Katusha and Orica Green Edge at the end of stage 2 in Sheffield.

What worm-hole did you use to travel through? :lol: