Best pedals for float...

mjf1017
mjf1017 Posts: 48
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm going to change my pedal and cleats on my road bike. I've been using mtb pedals as I was happy with them on my boardman hybrid. However, not sure what to go to. I want a pedal/cleat with plenty of float for my poor old knees. Any preferences or suggestions on this front?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Time or Speedplay - depending on the type of float you want, ie rotational, lateral ,or both in Time's case...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Speedplay are by far the most adjustable. They need abit more TLC than other pedals and the price is a negative but if you have knee issues then they make it a lot easier to get your set up sorted (I've got a dodgy left knee. Hated Look, liked Time, like SpeedPlay a little more).
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Speedplay are excellent for resistance free lateral float
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    +1 on speedplay
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    A colleague was recently lambasting Time pedals - apparently they have great float however the cleats are extremely soft and wear out very quickly. So I'm told!

Peter
  • I use Time RSXs, plenty of float, had no issue with the cleats wearing out.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Will the above suggestions give you more float than a standard SPD on its loosest setting?
  • cattytown
    What float will a spd give? Speedplay zeros give adjustable +- 15 deg, the G range +-20 deg LA +- 15 deg.
    Giant Defy 2
  • ai_1
    The speedplay zeros can also be easily adjusted to independently set the float limit in each direction (toe-in and toe-out) anywhere from zero to 15 degrees.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Look KEO red cleats offer 9 degrees of float.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ai_1
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Look KEO red cleats offer 9 degrees of float.
    But if I'm not mistaken there's significant resistance to rotation and the range of float is fixed. Is it also self centering or "free floating".
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Speedplay with the added bonus that if you can't track stand they're easy to clip in and out of.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Dippydog2
    cattytown wrote:
    What float will a spd give? Speedplay zeros give adjustable +- 15 deg, the G range +-20 deg LA +- 15 deg.
    I can move my heel about 2cm in each direction before unclipping with my SPD's. My question is whether the SPD SL type allow more movement.
  • cattytown
    My trig is very rusty so I used a calculator on the web. Assuming 20cm ish from ball of foot to heel, it works out about 6deg float on your spds. Look at speedplay Xs - over three times that amount, Zero and LA over double.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Dippydog2
    cattytown wrote:
    My trig is very rusty so I used a calculator on the web. Assuming 20cm ish from ball of foot to heel, it works out about 6deg float on your spds. Look at speedplay Xs - over three times that amount, Zero and LA over double.

Paul.
    Thanks. I wasn't very good at maths.
  • cattytown
    NP.
    Giant Defy 2
  • I've used the same Time Atac MTB pedals for over 10 years just swapping them between bikes.See no reason to bother with a dedicated set of road pedals.Loads of float,absolutely zero maintainance and the brass cleats are just coming to the end of their life so no complaints about 'wear'
  • ai_1
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    cattytown wrote:
    I can move my heel about 2cm in each direction before unclipping with my SPD's. My question is whether the SPD SL type allow more movement.
    One other thing to note: Lots of float can make unclipping a little trickier since you need to rotate your foot to the limit of the float to unclip. I use Speedplays to allow some toe-out as needed but also because I just find the non-centering, resistance free float much more comfortable than the SPD-SL pedals I used before (I haven't tried Time). Since I don't ever need much toe-in (i.e. heel-out!) I've reduced the toe-in float to just a few degrees. I still never hit the limit so the pedals are always free moving while cycling but I don't need to rotate my heel much to unclip. This is why I really like the adjustability. You can set them up to suit your specific needs and preferences and they cover pretty much all possibilities.
  • cattytown
    Absolutely. My right foot is toe out. I could barely unclip with X5s. Better adjusted Zeros and no problem.
    Giant Defy 2
  • I like my Speedplays.....I think. I do find they unclip far too easily though if cranking out of a corner. There's no way to increase the actualy "spring", tension. And these are Zero's- not the easy release versions....

If I hadn't bought Speedplay specific soloed shoes, Id probably switch back to SPD-SL's tbh...
  • ai_1
    I like my Speedplays.....I think. I do find they unclip far too easily though if cranking out of a corner. There's no way to increase the actualy "spring", tension. And these are Zero's- not the easy release versions....

If I hadn't bought Speedplay specific soloed shoes, Id probably switch back to SPD-SL's tbh...
    Never had that problem. You must have the gloat limits set close to your normal foot position then?
    The track version of the Zero may be a solution if you like it set up that way. If I remember correctly they're a zero pedal that requires about double the clip out pressure - check that in case I'm wrong!
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... ct&id=1410
  • GordonH
    GordonH Posts: 58
    Totally agree wit Ai_1's comments about the dangers of un-clipping being difficult if you have a lot of float. I used some red Look cleats for only one ride, as I found it almost impossible to un-clip because I was having to rotate my foot so much.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I like my Speedplays.....I think. I do find they unclip far too easily though if cranking out of a corner. There's no way to increase the actualy "spring", tension. And these are Zero's- not the easy release versions....

Never had that problem. You must have the gloat limits set close to your normal foot position then?
    The track version of the Zero may be a solution if you like it set up that way. If I remember correctly they're a zero pedal that requires about double the clip out pressure - check that in case I'm wrong!
    http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php? ... ct&id=1410

I've tried reducing the float, locking it down and increasing to max float. Still happens very occasionally. Probably just my biomechanics. I think with the float, stamping down hard with the bike cranked over results in the foot skating over with the force applied with more lateral forces resulting in the occasional disengagement.

Interesting re the track version. Never knew they did that version.
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    I've been using shimando spd mtb on my giant defy 1 as I had them on my boardman hybrid. I get along fine with them, but friends all have Shimano SPD SL and keo looks and now I've finally treated myself to some new shoes I was wondering if it was time to upgrade the pedals as well.
    If I'm honest I'm happy with the mtb pedals, but there is always that nagging doubt that you are missing a trick.
  • mjf1017 wrote:
    I've been using shimando spd mtb on my giant defy 1 as I had them on my boardman hybrid. I get along fine with them, but friends all have Shimano SPD SL and keo looks and now I've finally treated myself to some new shoes I was wondering if it was time to upgrade the pedals as well.
    If I'm honest I'm happy with the mtb pedals, but there is always that nagging doubt that you are missing a trick.

I doubt you're missing anything to be honest.