Hybrid or road bike with flat bars

Batler
Batler Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a newbie to cycling and i've only got my right arm. After completing my first event on Sunday on my Mango 3 speed, I'm looking at getting something a lot better. I've had advice from my local bike shop and they have recommended a hybrid bike. In particular the Specialized Sirrus i think. My friend at Evans has said I should try the BMC alpinechallenge.

I want something pretty fast with a nice road frame. Some hybrids seem to be more mountain bike framed than others with I don't like. I'm a pretty competitive guy and want to be able to keep up with my mates on their road bikes.

Any suggestions or input?

Thanks,

Comments

• blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I used to ride a Scott flat bar road bike (FB60) and it was a fast, reliable bike. It has the same geometry as the drop bar version.
    I liked the upright stance on the flat bar bike for better control and rear observation.
    Someone once told me that I should ride my bike with relaxed arms and shoulders, i.e.build your core strength (stomach,hips and back) to brace yourself on the bike in order to apply the power in your legs.
    Your competitive streak may urge you to ride faster but I think you should also consider your ability to stop. Front and rear braking from one lever may be something that would help.
    I admire your determination.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPFBTI ... a-flat-bar

Full carbon and shimano tiagra groupset for 800 is good value
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    If a road oriented hybrid floats your boat then that should be easy enough to modify to suit your needs, but if you want to keep up with your mates on road bikes, then why not get a road bike.

You make no mention of budget, but I reckon a Di2 road bike could be easily modified to give you full shifting capability from one side of the handle bar and the brakes could be modified to pull a double cable. I have seen time trial bikes with modified Di2 and with double cables from a single lever, so both mods are possible.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Could also try a hybrid with 8 or 11 speed hub system and double brake lever as discussed here.
  • If its roads you are riding, then a flat barred road bike is the best choice, if you may be want to venture on to gravel, forest tracks etc then maybe a hybrid is a better choice.

I do like the BMC bike you mentioned! Classy bike. It seems very much a flat barred road bike.
  • steoroc
    steoroc Posts: 37
    This guy took part in the RAAM....

10246608_10154296178145093_4471412261205522485_n.jpg
    Not sure what the setup is but one arm obviously didn't get in the way of his competitive nature
  • Batler
    I think i'm going to stay away from the planet x as my LBS seems to think the frames are rubbish and flexy.

I took a road bike out yesterday with drop bars and loved it. I felt really stable on it and it was a massive improvement. It was a Norco Valence C4 and it's at a good price but I've not heard anything about Norco. I think I may end up getting that and putting flat bars on for now and just run two trigger shifters on the left untill I can figure a way of making drop bars usable.

I'd love to have Di2 it would make life super easy but I just can't afford it.

Any more suggestions?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Batler wrote:
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a newbie to cycling and i've only got my right arm. After completing my first event on Sunday on my Mango 3 speed, I'm looking at getting something a lot better.

Hi guys, First post here but have been reading the forum for a while now. I have been wanting to get a bike for a while now but with having one arm I struggled to find something that I thought would be suitable. I ended up going for a mango bike with three gears on the left (I only have my left arm)...

So which is it or is this a load of BS?
  • Batler
    Why even post you idiot. I got mixed up is that alright?