Headset issues Kona stinky/rockshox domain

nzfozzy
nzfozzy Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.
Im a fairly noob to the bike world and i have a project on the go.
I have a 07 Kona Stinky frame,90% rebuilt with new,good gear.
My final issue is i have bought some brand new Rockshox domain dual crowns as an upgrade from the marz.
Does any body know,or are familiar with either of these as the headset doesnt seem to matchup,bearing etc
but steerer etc is all the same as the marz.it all goes together but there is no where on the bottom of steerer for the bearings to run as on the marz.ill try upload some pics. any advise is appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to take the crown race off the old forks and install it on the new set. The crown race fits snug onto against the crown.

See Park Tools website for a how to.
  • nzfozzy
    thank you heaps,i did wonder that and tried,but it wouldnt budge!
  • nzfozzy
    supersonic any chance u can send me a link??
  • nzfozzy
    ok so i found the park tools sight, am i supposed to be pulling the whole steerer tube? its not real clear. sorry
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No.....

The crown race is snug on the base of the steerer tube, most forks will have slots on the crown, use a screwdriver in that slot and under the crown race and tap it in with a hammer and slowly work it off, it can sometimes need some quite hard blows from the hammer to get it moving but as long as the screwdriver is in at the right angle it won't cause any damage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.