Freehub failure - warranty?

cgraley77
cgraley77 Posts: 66
edited July 2014 in Road general
Hi, could do with a bit of advice here if possible.

I bought myself a new bike mid April 2014, and in the last week or so it has struggled to get into the largest rear sprocket. I assumed it was down to cable tension, limit screws etc, but when cleaning the bike today it was apparent that there was a lot (nearly 1cm) of play in the cassette, along the axis of the freehub. This is obviously not normal, and my friend says it is likely a freehub body failure. Is this the likely cause? If so, surely it shouldn't be expected to fail in 2.5 months (1100 miles from new). If I ask the shop to replace under warranty would they be likely to do so or put down to usual wear n' tear?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what are the parts used? And was it really fitted correctly?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    nicklouse wrote:
    So what are the parts used? And was it really fitted correctly?

Apologies Nick I don't really understand the first part of the question....

With regards to being fitted correctly, it seemed to shift absolutely fine until perhaps a fortnight ago...
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    Freehub went on my boardman a few months back, bike was only a few months old.

Halfords couldn't get a new freehub so they replaced the wheel.

Warranty job fella
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    are you sure the cassette hasn't just come loose? if you have the lock ring tool (or know someone who does) might be worth trying to tighten that first
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Something seriously wrong if you can move the cassette 1 cm sideways :shock:

Take the wheel out and see what's going on. Post pictures if possible