Miller joins cast of discarded Brits

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Not much more to add really.

A bit of me can't help feeling that a lot of people were looking for charity. Only Wiggo could point to his performances this season to justify selection (and I'm no Wiggo fan!), the others I like better but they've not done enough this year to shine.

Pro cycling is a business.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wish Millar was there, I do.

I can also see your point but he has done so much for that team and in his last season as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    curium wrote:
    A bit of me can't help feeling that a lot of people were looking for charity. Only Wiggo could point to his performances this season to justify selection (and I'm no Wiggo fan!), the others I like better but they've not done enough this year to shine.
    I think Kennaugh could. Won Coppi e Bartali, top ten at Bayern Rundfahrt, performed well last year, and now British champion.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Look at it this way, we'll be spared three weeks of dreadful special addition Fizik eyesores and there might even be some going cheap somewhere for those who are so inclined.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Look at it this way, we'll be spared three weeks of dreadful special addition Fizik eyesores and there might even be some going cheap somewhere for those who are so inclined.

Don't forget the shoes. Who knows what he would've inflicted on us.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

That's what I was referring to with the Fiziks.

Anyway Is Millar really British. He wasn't born in Britain and he raced for Malta once. :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

That's what I was referring to with the Fiziks.

:oops: sorry, thought you were on about the glasses. Fools rush in...
    Anyway Is Millar really British. He wasn't born in Britain and he raced for Malta once. :wink:

Interesting point. And if he counts himself as Scottish, it'd be interesting to know his stand on Independence. That might make him even less British :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    :oops: sorry, thought you were on about the glasses. Fools rush in...

The glasses are also an abomination. Sadly the rest of Garmin are still riding so we won't be spared those. Or the Playmobil lids.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They should enter a Barbarians team with all the "rejects". Would be better than some teams who have a place.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Ridiculous from Garmin. Gutted for the bloke. Wonder if his film will get binned off?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Cervélo bike for sale on Twitter.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    He's not shown much this year, it seems to be more of a drawn out retirement/celebration of his career and coming out with statements like you've realised you prefer being a dad than a pro cyclist can't help. He was given the weekend to prove his form and did naff all so no cause for complaint really.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    k-dog wrote:
    They should enter a Barbarians team with all the "rejects". Would be better than some teams who have a place.

BrY1guVIUAAZ9Ry.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from TWH in the other thread but did anyone else look at that and go that would be a great team to have riding!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    k-dog wrote:

Great idea. Now we just need a billionaire troublemaker to grease the right palms and make it happen.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Put Nairo Quintana in there too for the bumpy stages...

We need one more...Canc is riding either is he..? Him!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Cadel? Not a bad team at all that.

Not sure Brad will like that haircut.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    no real sporting reasons to include him really, but I'm a sentimental old sod. The history of him and the team seem so intertwined too.

Cold as ice if his tweets are true too.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Sad about this. Was looking forward to saluting him in his final tour. I imagine he was really looking forward to his final hurrah and no doubt had a solo breakaway in mind at some stage. Great shame especially with the Yorkshire start. Hope he manages a last hurrah somewhere along the line but it's sad that it won't be at the race he loved.

I thought he was virtually a DS himself in Garmin anyway? Didn't expect them to freeze him out as I thought he would have been actively involved in team selection decisions or have I just imagined that?

Also, although sport is about winning; sport wouldn't exist without fans showing an interest and every fan likes a bit of romance. The 2014 tour in a more interesting universe has Millar and Wiggo on the start line complete with special edition shoes and niggly comments respectively.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's a bit sad but Garmin aren't a charity. Their Giro fell apart within about 10 mins and so I can understand their need to ensure that they give this, the most important GT of the year, the best possible chance. Holy Dave hasn't been firing on all cylinders and so it's a reasonable decision.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Garmin ain't a charity but let's be fair, Talanksy is only winning GC if a freak accident or illness takes out froome contandor and nibali. The PR value of having him there not to mention the film publicity which will likely fold now would outweigh having a more in form extra domestique for someone who will be lucky to podium anyway.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Garmin ain't a charity but let's be fair, Talanksy is only winning GC if a freak accident or illness takes out froome contandor and nibali. The PR value of having him there not to mention the film publicity which will likely fold now would outweigh having a more in form extra domestique for someone who will be lucky to podium anyway.

Valley Green Beautiful Mountain will finish above Talansky (and maybe Nibali unless he finds form) too imo.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Diva Davina, abandoned on the High Cs. Another victim of the BBC's dastardly plot to upgrade elite sport to soap opera. Congratulations to Garmin and Sky for resisting the temptations of Millar and Wiggins' legacy tours and upholding the integrity of the sport.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    Sick man not selected for arguably the world's most arduous sporting event.
  • iainf72 wrote:

so Millar has got bronchitis - just like Cav hasn't
  • above_the_cows
    iainf72 wrote:

so Millar has got bronchitis - just like Cav hasn't

Is this a case of:

Millar - bronchitis - poor form so far this year
    Cav - bronchitis - good form so far this year - team built completely around him
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Hehe... Macaroon said "upholding the integrity of the sport". He funny.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Hehe... Macaroon said "upholding the integrity of the sport". He funny.

Pletty soon, Keirin will be the only cycling to believe in 8) Crass coverage of sport in this country drives me crazy. BBC Radio bulletins this morning: "Britain's David Millar attacks Garmin over Tour snub." FFS
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Too old, not been on form since that stage in the 2012 TDF (though there were a few flickers here and there in 13).

I Don't see the fuss, he's past it. his acts on twitter say a fair bit about him to be honest, whilst a good road captain, he's not the rider he was...

Usually i like the guy, but he's thrown his toys out of the pram. Should concentrate on his media career, he'd be an excellent co commentator.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    philbar72 wrote:
    Too old, not been on form since that stage in the 2012 TDF (though there were a few flickers here and there in 13).

I Don't see the fuss, he's past it. his acts on twitter say a fair bit about him to be honest, whilst a good road captain, he's not the rider he was...

Usually i like the guy, but he's thrown his toys out of the pram. Should concentrate on his media career, he'd be an excellent co commentator.

Indeed. How dare he show his frustration or disappointment. He should bury the frailties of the human condition to keep you all happy.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    TMR wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

Indeed. How dare he show his frustration or disappointment. He should bury the frailties of the human condition to keep you all happy.

yep. I'd be upset as well, but to offer to sell your race bike and slate the team is a bit much. Childish, as I said before.