Canyon frame keeps cracking - what would you do?

Gazmania1
Gazmania1 Posts: 87
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

Just want to get some opinions on something. I have a Canyon CF SLX and am currently on my 3rd frame in 4 months. The problem I've had is the frame keeps developing a little crack around the seatpost clamp area. Canyon have always replaced the frame quickly and without fuss but I have just discovered the 3rd frame is beginning to show signs of cracking in exactly the same place as all the other frames. I don't just want them to send me another frame as I would imagine the same thing would happen again. They don't seem to me to be addressing why the frame keeps doing this. I weigh 80 kgs and the seat post is only exposed up to level 5.5 so no issues there. I've had both the vcls and vcls 2.0 seat post and different clamps and it's cracked with all of them.

Normally I would just ask for a refund by now but I love the bike (when it works). Would you cut your losses and take a refund or would you try and push for them to look at this properly?

Cheers

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Go for a refund, 3 frames in 4 months is crazy.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I would take the refund. I know you will be gutted to have to change but if Canyon themselves dont know or are just not letting on, its time you are spending not enjoying your bike. If this was a car I would demand a refund. They are terrific bikes but if its happened 3 times are you ever going to feel 100% confident in it?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This is ridiculous, refund imo. You can't keep going on and on ...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Refund and move to another brand.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I wouldnt risk it again.

Either its a batch fault or the frame design is too thin or dodgy in that area.

I would take a refund and go with a ROSE Xeon CRS.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I have had this years ago with a Orange mountain bike, turned out to be wrong size seatpost have you checked this or are they sending you new bikes.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    I wouldnt risk it again.

+1 for the Rose.

Better than a Canyon, cheaper than a Canyon, delivered in 2 weeks.... Unlike a Canyon. Doesn't fall to bits.... Like a Canyon!!!
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Refund. You only have to see how many other people have had the same issue with the 2013 SLX models to start thinking that there's a design flaw in there.
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    I wouldnt risk it again.

+1 for the Rose.

Better than a Canyon, cheaper than a Canyon, delivered in 2 weeks.... Unlike a Canyon. Doesn't fall to bits.... Like a Canyon!!!

My Nan was called Rose.
    So I suppose my Grandad used to ride one. :lol:
    Can you pick 'Blue rinse' as a colour option?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited June 2014
    It must be the flexing post + efforts to reduce frame weight. The non-sprung VCLS post flexes more than any carbon post on the market.

http://www.roadbike.de/test/parts/11-ca ... 17.9.htm#2
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I wouldnt risk it again.

+1 for the Rose.

My Nan was called Rose.

bet your Nan didnt look this good...
    003.jpg

OP needs to get a Xeon CRS or X-Lite. Lighter than a Canyon, Cheaper, Better Spec, Better service. mmmmmmm sexy.
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    I wouldnt risk it again.

+1 for the Rose.

My Nan was called Rose.

bet your Nan didnt look this good...
    003.jpg

OP needs to get a Xeon CRS or X-Lite. Lighter than a Canyon, Cheaper, Better Spec, Better service. mmmmmmm sexy.

Oh dear :lol:
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Canyon obviously sell a lot of these. I have a few mates who ride them without an apparent issue. How about talking to canyon (if you can get hold of them) and explaining your discontent at the issues you are having, 3 frames really isn't very good at all. You have to decide your tactics - do you want another canyon or a refund? The ball's in your court either should be acheiveable. Seeing that you really like the bike, maybe you could swap it for another canyon in the range, like the aeroad CF? Alternatively, with your refund lots of choice around including the rose if that floats your boat.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Refund or maybe think about the aero model or if it was me, I would think about a ultimate al.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Why not just cut a bit off the tube with an angle grinder?
    It'll only take a minute and the jobs a good un!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I would definitely get a refund, thats a really poor failure rate. New Aeroad is likely out soon, you could opt for that instead if you didn't want a refund
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    That's really disappointing, I really like their bikes and it was definitely on the shortlist for my next bike (my short list consists of about 20 bikes though :oops: )

Just wondered if they are a subsidiary of this company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ddcookson
    ddcookson Posts: 34
    Hi, as I have the same bike and am concerned do you have any images you could post of the failure.

Thanks
  • Gazmania1
    I have many....

Try this link to one of the pictures, the cracks aren't major but nonetheless shouldn't be happening

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2hi3hwfdg39r ... .30.47.jpg
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ddcookson wrote:
    Hi, as I have the same bike and am concerned do you have any images you could post of the failure.

Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12903747&start=900

I'm on my second frame due to crack just like the one pictured, and as described in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12903747&start=900

it took them 3 weeks to replace my frame and swap all bits over, if they've done it three times for the OP does that mean you've been without a bike for months?

I would have given up by now. although like you say, when not breaking the frame is wonderful
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I'd be asking them that if this is a known issue what are they doing to permanently fix it and how can they assure you it wont happen to the replacement frame. If there response is unconvincing I'd be asking for money back. I'm not up to date on Canyon frame sets but is an upgrade (for free bc of inconvenience) an option?
  • Gazmania1
    To be fair to Canyon, the first time it cracked they sent me a new frame and it arrived within 6 days but I had to pay to swap components over (choice was they would do it but it would take 3 weeks or they could send me frame and I pay a shop and I needed it to go to Majorca). Second time they had it for about 3 weeks. This 3rd time, I've still got the bike as only noticed the crack on Sat.
  • Gazmania1
    tmg wrote:
    I'd be asking them that if this is a known issue what are they doing to permanently fix it and how can they assure you it wont happen to the replacement frame. If there response is unconvincing I'd be asking for money back. I'm not up to date on Canyon frame sets but is an upgrade (for free bc of inconvenience) an option?

This is what I've decided to do. If there was another bike as good for the money I'd be happy to grab a refund but I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything that's as good value for money.
  • chewywahid
    chewywahid Posts: 28
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    To be fair to Canyon, the first time it cracked they sent me a new frame and it arrived within 6 days but I had to pay to swap components over (choice was they would do it but it would take 3 weeks or they could send me frame and I pay a shop and I needed it to go to Majorca). Second time they had it for about 3 weeks. This 3rd time, I've still got the bike as only noticed the crack on Sat.
    I had Canyon send the replacement frame and they paid for bits to swap over. Did you have the wider seat clamp?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    tmg wrote:

This is what I've decided to do. If there was another bike as good for the money I'd be happy to grab a refund but I've been looking around and can't seem to find anything that's as good value for money.

It ain't good value for money if you can't ride it a good portion of the year...!
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Gazmania1 wrote:
    tmg wrote:

It ain't good value for money if you can't ride it a good portion of the year...!

Exactly! Sending frames back and forth doesn't sound like good value to me. It amazes me how many people recommend Canyons when these problems are going on
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am surprised that Canyon keep selling them. They must be suffering real pain with this and there is lots more pain to come, whilst people are still riding bikes in warranty.

You have to wonder how long they can keep just mailing out new frames, FOC.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    I am surprised that Canyon keep selling them. They must be suffering real pain with this and there is lots more pain to come, whilst people are still riding bikes in warranty.

You have to wonder how long they can keep just mailing out new frames, FOC.

How many have they had to replace so far?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Lighter than a Canyon, Cheaper, Better Spec, Better service. mmmmmmm sexy.

Explain "better spec". :?
  • Is it just the 2013 CF SLX frames that suffer from this?

I have done 4000 miles on a 2014 CF SL and so far so good I am 82kg and ride over some fairly rough roads?