Campag veloce brake lever reach

stumpmagnet
stumpmagnet Posts: 88
edited July 2014 in Road general
Couldn't get the lever close enough for comfortable reach with my short podgy fingers so I had a play with the little pins you push in and out (these give you only two reach options) drilled and tapped the pin for a 3mm grub screw can adjust to what ever I like now :D
imagejpg1-1.jpg

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I thought the pin was to open the brake calliper to let you get the wheel out.

Neat solution though.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Animal72 wrote:
    I thought the pin was to open the brake calliper to let you get the wheel out.

This is true. I think Stumpmagnet is going to have to wait for his pads to wear down if he wants to take the wheels off without deflating the tube!

Of the modification was made to the pin on the outside of the lever, with a long grub screw it could be made to work so that it allowed reach adjustment and removal of the wheels (though it would still be fiddly).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I often suffer from these problems too, i'm part Native American and my tribe is from northern Minnesota, we are about as close to Eskimo's as you can be. I struggle with most levers, and i'm going to see if I can try this remedy at home, albeit I have Shimano running gear on the bike, not Campagnolo.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Couldn't get the lever close enough for comfortable reach with my short podgy fingers so I had a play with the little pins you push in and out (these give you only two reach options) drilled and tapped the pin for a 3mm grub screw can adjust to what ever I like now :D
    imagejpg1-1.jpg

Should work fine with Shimano brake calipers :lol:

Neat idea but I do wonder how you will get the wheels off?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • To be honest I never had a problem getting the wheels out with the pins left in place I have the brakes set quite open so that the pads aren't that close to the rims, I was going to put the screws on the outside but it looked better on the inside. Of course you can just pop the pins out and turn them around and fit them with the longer screws.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    This looks like one time that SRAM has the advantage.
    Even the base Apex levers have allen key adjustable reach setting.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    paulbnix wrote:
    This looks like one time that SRAM has the advantage.
    Even the base Apex levers have allen key adjustable reach setting.

Though Campag have shorter brake hoods in the first place.

As for getting the tyres out - there probably is enough adjustment in the nut on the caliper to allow them to be opened far enough irrespective of pad wear. An irritation but hardly a big deal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Love it... :D
    left the forum March 2023