Is there anything Pete can't do?

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Well we can discount all the track stuff as that is not really relevant when talking about the road.

He was talked up about being the next British hope for a GT contender but so were many riders who have turned up nowhere.

Fact is we dont really know how good he is because all he does is ride tempo on the front of a train.
Maybe if he had gone down the real racer's Yates route he would be winning and performing as incredibly well as they are?

He has also only ever won one stage and one overall on the road. Great but pretty average compared to most pros. GT contenders of similar age have done huge amounts more than him. Also worth noting that the race he won (which I watched closely and commended him on the great way he rode) was ridden against Lampre, Cannondale and a bunch of pro conti and conti teams so not exactly a strong field.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    How's his ice sculpting?

Too literal?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Not sure he can work a stage at Glastonbury like Dolly.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    I dont have very many photos Ken-YACK which tells its own story.

ChrisFroome_2900834_zps0e478390.jpg
    5874635764_fb29d39be6_b.jpg
    WATSON-00003750017_3118224_zps6c4c3994.jpg
    tdf_2013_stage_09_o-nev_40301_zpsfa2c0328.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    He just went up a few notches in my estimation with this comment:
    "To be honest, I'm a bit bored of wearing black."

14349250367_bbbc105897_k_zps19d760ed.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice photos as always FF.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Is the reference to Ken-YACK a reproach of him or the constant mis -pronouncement of his name by Matt Stephens? (just curious)

I can't help feeling he's missed the boat a little at Sky and that the whole Olympic sacrifice has cost him a year or so. Others such as Kwiatec and the Yates bros have stolen his thunder. BMC need a overhall and they could do a lot worse than let Cuddles go and say to Pete come on board and fill your boots.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    A reference to the commentator yesterday. It was a bit bizzare.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    On missing out on the Tour

“I’m really disappointed. With this team you continually have to prove yourself. I had good form at the Tour of Switzerland, won the Coppi e Bartali race earlier on, but I had a rough patch after the Ardennes Classics and their reasoning is that I’m not consistent enough. I disagree.”
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    To be fair to Ben Swift... he outsprinted a sprinter who had been on the front for miles without him coming through.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    How was PK supposed to ride it, carry the sprinter to the finish?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    mm1 wrote:
    How was PK supposed to ride it, carry the sprinter to the finish?

yes. He did what he needed to do. I'd love to see him at BMC, reckon he is going to be a genuine contender for 1 week races in the next few seasons. Could do well on the hilly classics as well.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    He'll be allowed to do his own thing at the Vuelta by the sounds of it. Maybe better for his development than being 4th man in the Tour train?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    After the finish, Kennaugh admitted he hadn't expected to edge beyond established sprinter Swift. "Once I tried my luck with the attacks on the climbs and he was still with me I thought it was game over," he admitted. "I couldn’t believe it when I was coming around him to the line. It felt surreal.
    "I’ve done so many training sprints with Swifty and he just leaves me, but today was my day obviously.
    "Working with Swifty on the last lap, it’s always hard with such a good mate to play those tactics of sitting on for almost the whole of the last lap."
  • frenchfighter
    Is it common place for men over there to add 'x' when talking to other men?

@Petekennaugh 13h
    Cheers @MarkCavendish your turn in Harrogate mate x
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,597
    We're all metrosexuals aren't we? X x x
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Tweet is after midnight the night he's won his first national championship.

What factors do you think might explain this trivial break from convention?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it common place for men over there to add 'x' when talking to other men?

@Petekennaugh 13h
    Cheers @MarkCavendish your turn in Harrogate mate x

Do you have a problem with men kissing other men? xxx
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I suppose the tweet would only seem odd to someone if they are somewhat homophobic or don't have a humorous disposition (or both) x
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I got a random snap of him last year om Alpe d'Huez. Think he may be a bit deaf in one ear...

PK_zps1c96eb40.jpg~original
  • frenchfighter
    Well I hope some of you are joking as it really is not a cool thing to do. I wouldn't do it under any circumstance even if I was drunk.

And it has nothing to do with homophobia. I wont go into my views on the matter, which are quite clear to me, but I am certainly not an anti-gay activist.

I was just asking as maybe these things are common place in some areas. I mean it is nothing anyone I associate with or respect would do but there do exist regional variations which would be interesting to inform oneself of.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Well I hope some of you are joking as it really is not a cool thing to do. I wouldn't do it under any circumstance even if I was drunk.

And it has nothing to do with homophobia. I wont go into my views on the matter, which are quite clear to me, but I am certainly not an anti-gay activist.

I was just asking as maybe these things are common place in some areas. I mean it is nothing anyone I associate with or respect would do but there do exist regional variations which would be interesting to inform oneself of.

I'm fairly sure the French actually kiss one another rather than put an x on a message. Do you respect or associate with them?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

You're such an arse, you really are.

hugs and kisses

xxx
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    So that's British people, women, gays, and Africans off his Christmas list.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    So that's British people, women, gays, and Africans off his Christmas list.

Why are women off the list? When did that happen?

lips_kiss_c20091118220202_20509.gif
  • frenchfighter
    Goodness me, three blocked posts in quick succession and one quoted. Which happens to be tosh but that is to be expected by the turtle.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Goodness me, three blocked posts in quick succession and one quoted. Which happens to be tosh but that is to be expected by the turtle.

I think you are missing the point, putting kisses on the end of messages to your mates is just a light-hearted thing to do, maybe you don't have time for light-heartedness or fun whereas stacks of people do. You're also then saying noone you would respect would do it, are you saying that from a disregard of people who are light-hearted or some mild homophobia or a mixture of both?
  • above_the_cows
    I for one am very glad to see that men also put bisous on the end of their electronic communications with men. I have had a glimpse into the world of male friendship and I have learned something.
  • Key
    Key Posts: 464

Can anyone tell me how you pronounce his name?

( im norwegian and really dont know... )
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Key wrote:

Can anyone tell me how you pronounce his name?

( im norwegian and really dont know... )
    Just take your best guess :P I don't really know for sure, I always thought it was some variation on Kenn-ick or Kenn-yack or Kenn-yuck.