single sided pedals?

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Current MTB has M520 pedals, I have to admit I'm not always totally comfortable clipped in with these on tricky downhill sections due to a few low speed accidents, but I like the feet being anchored in when going fast down bumpy terrain. I was thinking of trying out some of the dingle sided pedals, sod clip on one side, flat on the other, then I can unclip for the tricky sections as well as the ability to jump on the bike with normal trainers on for a quick zoom down to the shops.
Are there any others that find these types of pedals a good compromise or are they the worst of both worlds? If the former, then any recommendations please?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    They are the worst of all worlds. Sad but true. The closest thing I've found to being useful is Crank Brothers Mallet which are brilliant clipped in, have a big platform with adjustable pins and the clip doesn't stick up too much for doing the shopping trip etc. (I ride mine with flip-flops down to the beach without any issues.

Had the awful Shimano metal "one side spd, one side clip" and that has so much promise but just fails by not actually providing any grip at all as a flat pedal (even with a bit of sharpening of the cage!!). The plastic ones (which will also undoubtedly get a mention here) are also shit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The plastic clip on 'flats' are OK for what they are meant for, which is NOT mountain biking.

As above though, don't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The plastic bits are for test riding around the shop, not riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sprool
    I was looking at the Wellgo WAM D10's; they looked like they might be up to the job?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200953128660
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I had some of the M324s (I think I still have them somewhere)... they are a nuisance as spds as they are invariably the wrong way up, and they are extremely poor as flats with a small and not grippy platform so I would not use them as flats off-road. I would avoid them.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    Sprool wrote:
    I was looking at the Wellgo WAM D10's; they looked like they might be up to the job?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200953128660
    Like dropping buttered toast, they'll always be upside down.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Sprool
    Lol, ok you convinced me, saved me £40 :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Making them road legal as well perhaps!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you ride spd's normally, there are (no idea of brand or anything) clip in flat adapters that are basically cleats attached to a metal platform to convert a spd to a flat which may fall into the category of being better than a kick in the slabs with a steel toed boot in terms of a ta-dah change from spds on your bike for that oh so important flip flop ride to the beach.....

Problem is I have no idea what they were called or who made them.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Making them road legal as well perhaps!
    To add reflectors I suppose.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Sprool
    Hmm, not thinking they would last very long on a fast rocky downhill...