Old SLIME still any good?

nightofjoy
nightofjoy Posts: 35
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

I was going through an old backpack I found in the boot of my gf's car and found a new unopened bottle of Slime. It's about 4 years old. Now the website says it would be ok if kept in cool, dry conditions. Obviously the british seasons mean more than half the year it'll be cold, but for a few rare months a year the boot of the car will have become a sauna.

Has anyone here used slime which is old and been kept under similar conditions? Think it'll be ok, or should I bin it?

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    FWIW, I would have binned it new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah, you certainly couldn't've left it in your girlfriend's car
  • nightofjoy
    cooldad wrote:

Why would I buy something then bin it?
  • nightofjoy
    Yeah, you certainly couldn't've left it in your girlfriend's car

Yeah, totally forgot about it. I'll chuck it. Was just wondering if it might still be useable....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    cooldad wrote:

That :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    nightofjoy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Because it's crap. Try it, it was pot luck when new if it did much other than add a load of weight to your tubes. That's not changed.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe it's improved with age. It can't be any worse.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Some of my mates use slime tubes and they tend to work ok - they ofen pull out a couple of thorns which would have caused me to flat. If you like the idea then I'd give it a go.

I've never used them as the extra weight has always put me off.
  • nightofjoy
    njee20 wrote:
    nightofjoy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Because it's crap. Try it, it was pot luck when new if it did much other than add a load of weight to your tubes. That's not changed.

But I wouldn't bin it new now, would I? If I'd tried it and found it crap, I'd bin what was left, but I wouldn't be binning it new.

It's gone now anyways. Just as when I bought the stuff, it looks like Slime and similar products are still dividing opinion. Got a couple of 'self healing' tubes now, some puncture resistant tapes to go between tube and tyre, and I'll get some puncture resistant tyres as soon as budget allows.... Weight isn't an issue.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But I wouldn't bin it new now, would I? If I'd tried it and found it crap, I'd bin what was left, but I wouldn't be binning it new.

**Facepalm**

We understood what you were saying.
  • nightofjoy
    njee20 wrote:

**Facepalm**

We understood what you were saying.

Yeah, me too, I was just pointing out the flaw in the smart arsed comment. There are a load of posts on here about whether Slime is actually any good or not - I did search. My question was about it's shelf life, not about the quality of the product in the first place... :lol: